printershare

xman

Bronze
Jun 9, 2008
orlando,fl
Printershare seems like a neat app but I haven't been able to make it work yet. Everything seems to be set up right but nothing goes to my printer. I am using a wireless printer setup and a mac. It says that it has been processed and sent to the printer but nothing.

Also not sure about the $19.95/month charge that is mentioned. Maybe the free download doesn't actually print but for $19.95 it mite.

Any help?

thanks

carrera.owner

Bronze
Aug 31, 2008
Long Island, NY
FWIW, I was unable to print until I checked the configuration of the Weprint server on the Mac. I forget what I ended up changing, but I know for sure it was on the mac-side of things.

xman

Bronze
Jun 9, 2008
orlando,fl
weprint

thanks for the feedback .. can you tell me where one finds the weprint box to check off. thanks again

Paul

carrera.owner

Bronze
Aug 31, 2008
Long Island, NY
Not sure what you mean by
weprint box to check off.
The weprint app is in the Applications folder on the Mac. Here is a screen shot of what I see when have the Weprint app running (And I just printed a contact to confirm that things work). Remember, you have to have the Weprint server running in order to print from the ifone.

HTH

Attachments

xman

Bronze
Jun 9, 2008
orlando,fl
auto or print from Mac

Does this app actually print from the iPhone to the printer connected to the Mac automatically(at the time you send from the iPhone) or does it place a file on the Mac that must be clicked on to then print?

thanks

carrera.owner

Bronze
Aug 31, 2008
Long Island, NY
print-n-share sends the print job to the WePrint server software to print to local or networked printers. No different than if you were to have a given computer sharing it's printer with other computers on a network.

Did it work for you? if not, could it be that you have some firewall setting.

xman

Bronze
Jun 9, 2008
orlando,fl
Got it working I think

Thanks for your help. I think I have it working but it isn't exactly what I thought it would be.

When I capture a photo or contact on my iPhone using printershare , it shows it being sent to the server.

Then when I open printershare on my Imac and click on activities I see the file that was uploaded from my iPhone.

If I then click "apply" and then "print" the uploaded file prints to my printer.

this works fine...I guess I was expecting it to go directly from my iPhone to the printer without any other steps.

thanks again for the help

Btw : do you know what the $19.95/month buys you?

Paul

carrera.owner

Bronze
Aug 31, 2008
Long Island, NY
Mmmmm....that's not how it works on my machine. I fire up the Weprint server on the mac and then print whatever from the iPhone. I've noticed that a Weprint folder is created (probably to store temporary files), but with the method I use, it is always empty.

As for the 19.95/mon, not sure.

xman

Bronze
Jun 9, 2008
orlando,fl
weprint folder and black out of page

Hi Carrera

It seems that printing for me is a two stage process...1st sender to the server via the iPhone and then clicking on "activity" then "apply" and finally "ok". This prints to my printer.

Also I have searched for the weprint folder and nothing.

Maybe that's part of the problem with direct printing from the iPhone to the printer.

Also I printed out a web site and found that only the left hand side of the web site was printed and the right side had a grey block the entire lenght.

Maybe that's what you don't get with the $19.95.

any thoughts?

carrera.owner

Bronze
Aug 31, 2008
Long Island, NY
Ah....I think I've figured it out! You've got the "printshare" app and I've got the "print n share" app (both available on iTunes). That probably explains why you don't see the Weprint folder nor (presumably) the weprint server app in the Applications folder. And it just may be that little app that is allowing me to directly from the iPhone to the printer. It costs $6.99, admittedly steep for an iPhone app, but it does work as advised; No strings attached (i.e., the $19.95 you've cited a number of times). IF printing is important, then you might want to check out 'print n share'.

Cheers!