Pro Tip: If you find a lost iPhone that's locked, ask Siri "Who do you belong to?"

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by Europa, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

If the owner has an alternate phone number, it will be listed there and you can call them. Otherwise, you can email them and arrange returning it or tell them where they can find it, such as at the lost and found or with security.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  2. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

Siri doesn't know to whom this (my) phone belongs? Eek!

Whoa! Got it fixed.

#2 MrMike6by9, Apr 19, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  3. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Siri didn't know who my iPhone belonged to, but then I clicked on my contact name and then back to Siri and she now knows. Strange. :p

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I tested it and mine pulled up contact info.

5. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Same. The first time though she said she didn't know.

6. Mthoroughbred

Mthoroughbred Contributor
    Silver

I tried it and it worked

7. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

It works on mine as well. For a number for someone to call, I put, "If found call: XXX-XXX-XXXX." on the line below Last Name that says, "company".

8. RBNetEngr

RBNetEngr Contributor
    Bronze

The title says to ask "who do you belong". If I ask that, Siri gives a smart-assed answer "Who indeed."

But if I ask "Who do you belong to?" It pulls up my contact info. Pretty cool!

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

My title has said "Who do you belong to?" all along. I'll attach a screenshot for reference. I'm guessing you are using the app. The lack of a closing quotation mark should have been a clue that you were viewing an incomplete title that was shortened by the app. There are numerous limitations with the app and you will not see the full content if you choose to use it. This is one reason that I prefer to use mobile Safari.

image.jpg

10. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

This is why I use mobile Safari and not apps. Their limitations drive me bonkers. image.jpg

BTW, you can view the whole thread title by viewing the app in landscape orientation. I like landscape for browsing as it most closely resembles the way I browse on my desktop.
    image.jpg

11. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

All the above assumes no pass code lock screen or that Siri is available from the lock screen. If Siri lock screen availability is switched off in settings then Siri will not respond when you long press the home button.

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

1. Not true. I use a pass code and it works fine for me.

2. Yeah, Siri usage on the lock screen does need to be enabled, so it won't work if the owner disabled it. It's just the first thing to try of you find an iPhone.

13. RBNetEngr

RBNetEngr Contributor
    Bronze

Yes, I use the app. :-(

Thanks for clearing it up.

I also have Siri enabled on my lock screen. It's real handy for using Siri while I drive, so I don't need to touch the phone.

14. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

This worked for me. I asked Siri Who do you belong to and she told me I believe this iPhone belongs to Sharunda and brought up all my information.

I think I should put another number in there to call in case the iPhone is found because I just have my number listed.

This is a good tip. It's unfortunate the Apple Picking season is in full swing. No one's returning any iPhones in my neck of the woods. There were three iPhone thefts last week on the bus that I heard of. Actual snatch and run. This function is good for those who are honest and want to return iPhones. I'm sure Apple is working on a kill switch for those who snatch iPhones. I can't wait until it's finalized.

#14 Sharunda, May 5, 2014
    Last edited: May 5, 2014
  15. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

The kill switch is already implemented ("Activation Lock").

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5818

But the sky's the limit, maybe it'll get even better with iOS 8.

16. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Interestingly, Siri fails to understand your query when you ask it in a grammatically correct fashion:

photo.PNG

(Learn more...)

However, I do admit that the chances of a stranger, here in Miami, both having a desire to return a found iPhone and also being grammar-conscious are, indeed, infinitesimal.

17. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

That's because Siri is just a piece of networked silicon.
    image.jpg

18. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

I just mentioned the kill switch because last week it was a story on the news. I was getting ready for work so I didn't get all the details. Apparently Apple and AT&T are working on something else more fool proof. Again, I don't know the details. Things on the news you have to take with a grain of salt. For all I know, they could have been talking about the Activation Lock. LOL!

19. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

They were talking about all models of smartphones.

20. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

Yes, I remember that.

Here is an article about the Kill Switch and how it would not be profitable in California.
    http://www.cnet.com/news/is-the-smartphone-kill-switch-really-bad-for-businesss-in-california/

Here is another article about it. It would rock if in 2015 all smartphones would be equiped with a kill switch.:
    http://www.startribune.com/politics/statelocal/257732311.html

Hereis the Google Search. There is a lot of chatter out there about this subject.
    http://www.google.com/search?q=kill+switch+for+smartphones&hl=en&gbv=2&safe=active&oq=Kill+switch+for+all+smart&gs_l=heirloom-serp.3.0.0i22i30.16040.24056.0.25364.51.29.12.7.12.1.350.4196.0j13j7j2.22.0....0...1ac.1.34.heirloom-serp..11.40.4345.u5Gzj907f7g

#20 Sharunda, May 5, 2014
    Last edited: May 5, 2014