Problem backing up music to laptop

Discussion in 'iPhone 4S' started by TheCraig, Sep 16, 2012.

1. TheCraig

TheCraig New Member

Hi guys, semi-regular lurker but first time poster here. Hoping I can get some help from some of you iPhone gurus out there...

I've recently had to pick up a new laptop as my old one has went to that great big electrical store in the sky. (Altogether now, "awwww")

This means I've lost my entire iTunes library. I want to backup my music from my iPhone to my new laptop outside of iTunes however I am finding one particular problem blocking my path, and I have no clue as to either what is causing it, or how I can fix it.

I have just under 800 tracks on my phone, amounting to around 7Gb of data. Once the transfer gets to around 2.3~2.5Gb it simply stops. This is happening with Sharepod, with which I receive no error messages, the transfer simply stops. I also picked up Copytrans Pro (which I annoyingly spent $20 on only to find out I have the same problem) and with this I get a message saying something along the lines of "xxx number of tracks failed to copy". I have a mixture of songs purchased from iTunes, and also music ripped from my own CD collection.

I am running iOS 5.1.1. Has anybody encountered this or maybe a similar problem and happened to find a solution? Look forward to any tips/help you guys may have.

Thanks for reading.

2. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

Sorry to hear about the unfortunate demise of your laptop. I'm not sure how this will work but if you subscribe to iTunes match for like 29.00 for the year, you may be able to have all your music uploaded from your phone to your iTunes account in the cloud, at which point, you should be able to download them back down to your computer or any other idevice you own. I don't know if this can be accomplished through the phone but I don't see why not. Just a suggestion. (it doesn't matter whether you purchased the songs on iTunes or not)

3. TheCraig

TheCraig New Member

Thanks Kriss - I will bear that in mind as another option. :)

I'm currently using TransPro again but this time uploading artist by artist (it's a bit of a grind but it'll be worth it in the long run). It's stopped copying for no apparent reason once or twice already, but as I know which album/artist I last backed up it's easy enough to restart the laptop and pick up from where I left off. I'm probably about 2/3rds of the way through now which is much more progress than I made earlier.

4. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

Glad to help. I have also used a program called Senuti for transferring music from my ipods to computer with great success. It comes in both a windows and mac version. Also, the good thing about the iTunes match thing is that it will keep all your tags in place so you don't have to go through them all again. I have 11,000+ songs in the cloud and you can even delete your copy that's less than desirable quality to a better 256kbps that Apple matches in iTunes. When I uploaded my library, it let me delete and replace over 4,000 songs free. (None of which were purchased through Apple). That's all I'll say about that since I don't want to sound like a iTunes advertiser. Worth reading up about though. Good luck!

5. AZIANAPPLE

AZIANAPPLE Member
    Bronze

Have you tried splitting the amount of tracks so it's under 2GB per transfer? That might work because it sounds like you have a HDD that is formatted to FAT32?

6. maplelegend

maplelegend Member
    Bronze