Problem connecting WiFi to my Orange LiveBox, using WPA security

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Granddad

Nov 24, 2007
Northern Ireland
Having read the manners & protocols that members of this forum should follow, I will refrain from making comments on this my first post. Rather, I would ask how other members feel about the iPhone as a businesss tool. I have received a U.S. iPhone (8GB/v1.1.1) as a gift but have not taken out an O2 call plan (I live in the UK). I am currently using the iPhone as an advanced iPod Touch. I do have a problem trying to connect via WiFi to my Orange LiveBox, using WPA security. When I disable security on the livebox, no problem. Enable security, problems, despite entering the WPA key when asked for a password. Any ideas?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
The iPhone was never advertised as a businesss phone, so it should not be seen as one.

As for your issue, I suggest either restoring or getting an O2 plan.

- John

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
Hi,

Try experimenting with the WPA settings on your wiFi or looking for some firmware updates. WPA is still relatively new and many devices have 'issues' with each other.

If you're not working for MI5 - WEP is probably sufficient, and that will fix the connection problem.

MacMan's right - get the phone on O2 and it really does come alive. I was skeptical at first having read horror stories of virtually zero EDGE support outside of the Smoke - but here just outside the Peak District where signals don't go - it's actually very good. I hardly lost a signal between here and Birmingham and back.

Always having data and Google at your fingertips is great. Must dash - Pub Quiz - oh yes - it does businesss stuff ok, as long as it's email or web, nothing much by way of terminal client, or data

Granddad

Nov 24, 2007
Northern Ireland
Thanks, i'll try these out.

I'll see if my company will extend my O2 coverage to include the iPhone (may require some arm twisting) Many thanks.

Hi,

Try experimenting with the WPA settings on your wiFi or looking for some firmware updates. WPA is still relatively new and many devices have 'issues' with each other.

If you're not working for MI5 - WEP is probably sufficient, and that will fix the connection problem.

MacMan's right - get the phone on O2 and it really does come alive. I was skeptical at first having read horror stories of virtually zero EDGE support outside of the Smoke - but here just outside the Peak District where signals don't go - it's actually very good. I hardly lost a signal between here and Birmingham and back.

Always having data and Google at your fingertips is great. Must dash - Pub Quiz - oh yes - it does businesss stuff ok, as long as it's email or web, nothing much by way of terminal client, or data

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
It's worth it if you can. The data usage will take an Orange or T-Mobile plan up to costing more than the O2 tariff - It does make a decent argument. (even if I did just make it up - but I think it's not far from true!)

What's O2 coverage like in NI?

Granddad

Nov 24, 2007
Northern Ireland
O2 Coverage in NI

It's worth it if you can. The data usage will take an Orange or T-Mobile plan up to costing more than the O2 tariff - It does make a decent argument. (even if I did just make it up - but I think it's not far from true!)

What's O2 coverage like in NI?

I've had no problems except one or two blind spots in Belfast, but thats understandable as the developers are pushing up new high rise buildings like there's no tomorrow. Oh! and you're argument does make sense.