Problem of iPhone with Verizon ActionTec router

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

piloting

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
I have the ActionTec Router from Verizon, and I have problem to connect the the iPhone to it. I can setup the wifi and get connected. Once I access the network for a few times (like go to retreive stock quote a few times). My network connection becomes slow and loss the connection. My wirelsess signal is still there but just cannot connect to the internet. Other wireless connection has no problem. I change the frequency channel but it didn't help. I change to another router and it works fine.

Does anyone has the ActionTec router has the same problem? Is this the ActionTec router problem or my router is defective ?

I have no problem to use the iPhone at other router.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I have the ActionTec Router from Verizon, and I have problem to connect the the iPhone to it. I can setup the wifi and get connected. Once I access the network for a few times (like go to retreive stock quote a few times). My network connection becomes slow and loss the connection. My wirelsess signal is still there but just cannot connect to the internet. Other wireless connection has no problem. I change the frequency channel but it didn't help. I change to another router and it works fine.

Does anyone has the ActionTec router has the same problem? Is this the ActionTec router problem or my router is defective ?

My ISP issues SpeedStream DSL modems/routers with built-in WiFi. At first it wouldn't work right at all. I then used my ISP's DNS addresses on the iPhone as static DNS IPs (as opposed to using the router's IP for DNS).

That helped, but I still had the symptoms you described. Most times when I lost signal the iPhone would not reconnect--even though it showed full strength on the status bar. I would literary have to be within 5-10' for it to work properly again.

One of the iPhone updates improved on this, but it still didn't work as well as I had hoped. So I used an old WiFi G router I had laying around and put that back into use (as a bridge, not a router). Bingo, worked fine.

So in my opinion there are WiFi products that the iPhone still doesn't like to play with. But I would still try the static DNS trick to see if it helps.

--
Mike

jamesc800

Feb 21, 2010
fix for Verizon FIOS ActionTec WIFI and Ipod touch / iPhone 3G

Here is the fix for me.

Issue: I purchased an Apple Ipod Touch 3G. v 3.1.2 firmware and have a Verizon Actiontec router firmware 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.11.6. The WIFI connection was working intermittently and slow. I was getting server unavailable message on Exchange Activesync. On Safari browser, I was not able to reach CNN, marketwatch, igoogle. The WIFI data connection seems to work on a power cycle of the Ipod touch, but data connection is lost after 10 to 30 seconds. Note: my WIFI connection on Apple Ipod touch always has full bar even though internet access is slow or not available most of time.

Fix:
1. Reset Actiontec Router (access point) by holding the reset button for 15 seconds to factory default. 2. Change your WIFI security setting - WEP, WPA, WPA2 config, SSID to your original configuration before the reset.
3. Power off / on your Ipod or iPhone.

After the reset of Actiontec router, my Ipod 3g WIFI / download speed is working great, but it has only been working for 30 minutes for me. I do not know if the problem will come back again later. At that point, I may call Verizon support to request for a replacement of Actiontec router with another brand. (not sure if that is an option with Verizon). Or just buy myself a Linksys / Cisco AP. I do not know if this problem is related to Actiontec or Apple ipod touch 3G. I had problem with Nintendo WII with Actiontec before also. Perhaps, the factory reset wiped the ARP cache table.

Good luck. Hopefully, this will help you.

4.0.16.1.56.0.10.11.6Release Date:Feb 11 2009Platform:MI424-WR

Apple4me

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
So I used an old WiFi G router I had laying around and put that back into use (as a bridge, not a router). Bingo, worked fine.
I have three wireless routers in my house just for this reason. Some devices like certain wireless routers and don't like others. There is really no rhyme or reason why this is, but I just match my wireless device to the router that it likes best.

Sounds crazy, but it works ;)