Problem: Trash in Hotmail in Mail App shows there is a message when there is none

Feb 20, 2012
Rochester, NY
Basically, in my Mail app when I go into Hotmail under 'Accounts' and look at Trash, it indicates that there is a message in that folder with the tell-tale gray pill-looking icon with the number "1" in it. Yet when I touch 'Trash' it opens the Trash list and there is nothing there.

I suspect this may have happened as a consequence of Hotmail going from using 'Trash' to 'Deleted', but I am assuming this happened at some point after I got the phone. I don't recall exactly when this issue came up but that's a theory I have. I know this seems like no big deal and maybe I am being a wee bit OCD-ish here, but I find this just plain annoying. In addition, it may indicate a bigger problem in some way with the indexing for the emails but have found no evidence that that is an issue. Anyway, anyone have suggestions/have the same issue?

Thanks.

Feb 20, 2012
Rochester, NY
I finally decided to just remove the account from my phone and then re-add it. That seems to have cleared up the issue but hasn't answered the questions of how and why.

lynellej1

Feb 29, 2012
my yahoo app on my droid did that a lot too and thats a whole other game..... my iPhone hasn't had the problem yet but i figure thats what ill do once i have it happen to me (fingers crossed it wont)

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
...next time, simply turn JUST email off (Settings \ Mail, Calendar Contacts), and wait a few seconds, and then turn it on again :)

moomin

Feb 9, 2013
Hi all, I had exactly the same problem and was up to 21 invisible messages in my Trash which was driving me crazy! I turned my mail off as suggested above and restarted my phone and they disappeared! Thank you very much for the tip :)

Dave44

Jun 14, 2013
...next time, simply turn JUST email off (Settings \ Mail, Calendar Contacts), and wait a few seconds, and then turn it on again :)
Thank you SO much! Thought someone had hacked my account. Very grateful. Some cleaver people out there. :)
Dave44