Problem with buying Apps since new phone

Discussion in 'iPhone Apps and Games' started by bams50, Dec 2, 2011.

1. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

Just upgraded from 3gs to 4s two weeks ago. Since then I cannot download apps on the phone, even free ones. When I select one and put in my PW it says "Before you can make purchases, you must tap Continue to sign in, then verify your payment info. So I go to the 'Account' page and everything is there and correct except my Security Code. So I enter that and instead of loading I get 'Security code is invalid.' I double and triple-check the code and all other info, and still get the same message.

I also tried entering a different card- different number, different code. Same deal.

What am I doing wrong?

2. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Had the same thing happen with the girlfriends new phone. Sign out of the store on your device, Go into your account and delete the previous cards info, then re enter it. Log back into the store. That's what worked for me at least.

3. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

How can I go to the store directly to sign out?

4. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Settings, store, tap your Apple ID and it will give you the option to sign out. I think you can also do it from the app store. Scroll to bottom of featured area and tap on your ID.

5. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

Thanks. Was able to sign out, then back in and delete/re-enter card info; still the same problem.

Why must this stuff always make me feel like an idiot instead of simply working?:unsure:

6. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

Well, to follow up, it's fixed. That's the good news. The bad news is, nobody knows why. Here's what I did:

Posted here Friday after a couple hours of trying to figure it out. Got one response (many thanks for your help, RoofMonkey) but had no luck. Gave up.

Saturday morning, spent a half hour on the phone with Apple, waiting When my turn came, the girl had me try several things, no luck; told me to try through iTunes on my computer instead of the phone.

Saturday night, went to that computer and tried changing through iTunes; same problem. Asked brilliant son for help. Son tried several things, finally linking to my PayPal account, which seemed to work! However, once synced and tried, the iPhone said something like "PayPal not compatible with this device" or some such crap. Went back, re-entered card info, no dice. Tried other card, same thing. Logged out and back in several times, both computer and iPhone. Nothing worked. Even brilliant son strikes out. Plan to go to Apple store on Sunday.

Couple hours later, try again just for the halibut to load a free app- it worked! Tried a paid app I've wanted... downloaded without problem!:confused:

So, now it's working perfectly. And I cannot tell you how or why. If anyone can explain it, it might be good to add the info here for future reference for others.

Hey, at least it's working(y)

7. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Always like to hear a good ending to a problem! Just wish you/ we knew what it was that fixed it. Thinking maybe it could be a time issue? Servers had to 'accept' your changes. I'm just grasping there. Either way, glad its working for you.