Problem with firmware?

Hookem99

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
Deep in the heart of Texas
I am not really sure where the issue lies, but here is whats happening;

Bought 2 new iPhones 2.5 weeks ago.

Mine came with 1.1.3 and have since had not a single problem.

My wife's came with 1.1.2. As soon as we activated it, it tried to upgrade to 1.1.3. After getting several error messages(could not update due to unknown problem) it finally upgraded. After some light use, she wanted a couple ring tones. I made them(2), paid for them and tried to install them. After syncing, both tones, in iTunes it showed them both there. On the phone, it showed tone 1 twice. Go into iTunes and delete the tone it shows on the phone, and then, on the phone tone 2 is the only one there. (and vice vera) After several attempts to solve this, I did a restore and that seemed to solve the issue.

Yesterday, I install 1.1.4. Not a single issue on my phone, but on my wifes, Cannot update due to an unknown error. I took 3 attempts to get it installed.

Last night I made her more ring tones, and tried to sync them. Same issue. The two original tone are there, but the three new ones, which show correct in device ring tone folder in iTunes, are all listed as the same tone. Delete that tone from the list, it shows the next one twice.

Example(on device):
Original tone 1
Original tone 2
New tone 1
New tone 1
New tone 1

Example (in device RT folder in iTunes)
Original tone 1
Original tone 2
New tone 1
New tone 2
New tone 3

Because of the issue installing both firmware updates, I would think the issue is there, but who knows. Also, shortly after the 1.1.4 update finally installed, iTunes started locking up when I plug in the iPhone.

A call to Apple care, only brought about another restore, and the same issue!

Sorry for the long post, and I hope it makes sense. Thanks in advance.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Do you live near an Apple store? I would take it there. If not call them again and tell them restore did no good.

Hookem99

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
Deep in the heart of Texas
Do you live near an Apple store? I would take it there. If not call them again and tell them restore did no good.

I did this morning. Told them what was going on, and with out question, they gave me a brand spanking new phone. Never even looked at the old one. Wish everything was that easy!

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Great! I tell you Apple has to be at the top of customer service. They are just great. Another reason I am through with windows and going mac.