Problem with slide to unlock/slide to answer

dsedov

Jan 2, 2008
I have this weird problem whenever I lock my phone (either with power/sleep button or just waiting for it lock by it self) I cannot unlock it. I push power/sleep button (or home) but the touch screen wont respond.

This is not that bad, because I can push power/sleep twice (turn it off and back on) and now the touch screen works again.

Now the real problem arises when someone calls me, as pressing power/sleep twice drops the call =(

I must admit that I don't live in the US and of course I have unlocked phone (1.1.2) - so I cannot return it to store? as tis was a gift from one of my US friends (and I live on the other side of the globe)

Can anyone help me? I wish that I could just turn off the back light without it actually locking - that would solve my problems.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
I have this weird problem whenever I lock my phone (either with power/sleep button or just waiting for it lock by it self) I cannot unlock it. I push power/sleep button (or home) but the touch screen wont respond.

This is not that bad, because I can push power/sleep twice (turn it off and back on) and now the touch screen works again.

Now the real problem arises when someone calls me, as pressing power/sleep twice drops the call =(

I must admit that I don't live in the US and of course I have unlocked phone (1.1.2) - so I cannot return it to store? as tis was a gift from one of my US friends (and I live on the other side of the globe)

Can anyone help me? I wish that I could just turn off the back light without it actually locking - that would solve my problems.

I usually just press the home button once to get to the slide, and only use the touch the sleep/wake to sut off.

dsedov

Jan 2, 2008
Home button does turn screen on as well - but the slide to unlock/answer does not work until I press power two times. Also I can press power once then home once to bring the screen bak on and then slide to unlock works

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Home button does turn screen on as well - but the slide to unlock/answer does not work until I press power two times. Also I can press power once then home once to bring the screen bak on and then slide to unlock works

Try doing a hard reset of the phone. Hold the sleep/wake button down until the slide to turn off the phone comes on, then slide. Now push the sleep/wake butn to turn on the phone, Apple logo comes on and it powers back up.

This fixes a lot of funny things in the phone. It is a good idea to do this once a week.

dsedov

Jan 2, 2008
Nope - didn't help. Every time I turn it on touch screen does not work. Turn of and back on - and it works until I turn it off for at least 2-3 seconds - then it wont work again

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Nope - didn't help. Every time I turn it on touch screen does not work. Turn of and back on - and it works until I turn it off for at least 2-3 seconds - then it wont work again

I just read your post again:

To leave the screen on all the time go into settings/general/auto-lock click that and change to never and the screen stays on until you sleep it.

dsedov

Jan 2, 2008
yeah I know that - but it'll drain the battery. I ment to solv my problem I would need something that would turn off the light instead of locking the phone. Ideally I would love to fix it though =))

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
yeah I know that - but it'll drain the battery. I ment to solv my problem I would need something that would turn off the light instead of locking the phone. Ideally I would love to fix it though =))

Where did or how did your friend purchase the phone in the USA?

dsedov

Jan 2, 2008
I don't know frankly - it was a new year present, so I didn't ask for much details. I live in Russia though. I just don't want restore it to original send it there, wait for replacement and then wait to get it back.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
I don't know frankly - it was a new year present, so I didn't ask for much details. I live in Russia though. I just don't want restore it to original send it there, wait for replacement and then wait to get it back.

Yeah, that is a bummer, sorry I could not help.:(

dsedov

Jan 2, 2008
No problem - guess that calls for screen replacement =(

dsedov

Jan 2, 2008
maybe anyone has some ideas on the fix though ?

jaimepi

Jun 10, 2008
I have the same problem.... Tryed everything without success. Can't return the phone because was not activated with att. It was purcased in an Apple store (NYC).
Did you finally fix yours?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
If you need the phone to be unlocked, then I would suggest restoring the phone as a NEW iPhone and then downloading ZiPhone and re-unlocking it. The process is very simple and should get rid of your issue.

cactusdd

Apr 11, 2008
i'd the problem "slide to answer" too,

and i came across some forum saying that is because of the contacts database,
don't sync contacts with itune, key in manually one by one!

but i have hundreds of contacts, to key in manually take times......
so, i hope guys with less contacts can try out the solutions and let others knows
this method works or not?

Hope this help? good luck.

Apr 16, 2009
Check your ringtone for the contact or the default ringtone is the ringtone valid ? Does it exist? I had exactly your symptoms could not slide to answer a call and it was dues to have a ring tone set that no longer existed on my phone.

cactusdd

Apr 11, 2008
All my contacts are in default ringtone mode, i did not assign any ringtone to any contact.
and i change my default ringtone from time to time...

And not only slide to answer, i had slide to unlock problem as well.
after iPhone go into standby mode for a while, when i try to power up, it freeze on the slide to unlock screen.

for this point of time, my temporary solution is:-

double click the on/off button to solve the "slide to unlock" problem.
when it freeze, i just double click the on/off button and everything works fine....

i use "callcontroller" to solve the " slide to answer" problem.
Callcontroller is an application that allow you to shake the iPhone to answer any incoming call.

looks a bits funny, when you shake to answer call in the middle of a meeting with your Big Boss.

But, anywhere still waiting for a correct solutions for my problem.
any helps?

praks

Jun 25, 2009
I have the same issue and have not been able to use the iPhone as a phone at all. I have searched all over the internet but no one seems to have a solution for this. I tried to upgrade my firmware to the latest version 3 hoping this would fix the problem, but no. I also realised when I restored it to factory settings that the problem persists and thereforee concluded this is not because of the unlock I did.
The only soln seems to replace the LCD as some sites suggest. Any comments on this ?
cactusdd - thanks for your input on the call controller app. But this doesn't work very effectively and is not stable at all.
Waiting for a soln from some gurus out there to help us !

cactusdd

Apr 11, 2008
Replace the LCD is not an option for me, too expensive for my iPhone 2G,

Callcontroller is still my prefer solutions at this point of time, only Cost me (USD2.99) and yes, its not 100% stable, it does hang from time to time. But its still better than nothing, only 1 or 2 out of 20 calls i can't answer.

My settings of callcontroller is - Left & Right 0.27
(try not to set - up & down, because up & down giving me trouble to answer call too.

Due to the limited memory on my 1gen iPhone, this is what i do every morning.
i turn off callcontroller, i use Free Memory (free app store) to clean up, then Turn on callcontroller again. this method save me from rebooting the iPhone.