Problems downloading TomTom

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Has anyone else ran into problems downloading TomTom in iTunes?

I purchased it on my MacBook and it downloaded the 1.21 GB file, but as soon as it was done, it immediately started the download over. I let it download the second time and the same thing happened that again. When it started to download it for the third time, I stopped it, deleted it, repurchased it (no charge) and now it's downloading again. I just started it, so it has a while to go...

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Well, I downloaded it 3 times on my Mac, with the same problem every time, it just immediately started the download over again once complete and the app never showed up next to my other app purchases. I'm in the process of downloading it on my PC now. If that works, I'll transfer the file to my Mac so I can sync it on the phone.

EDIT: That worked, got it synced, carry on :)

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
That's still a pretty bizarre thing to happen. Perhaps it was because of the file size?

I always hate when I have to use my old PC to get something when it's unavailable or won't work on my Macs.

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
wow..a pc needed to back up a Mac...how interesting.. :)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Unfortunately, my PC is having to back up my Mac again. Same thing happened with Navigon this morning. These two GPS apps are the only ones that has caused this weird infinite download loop. I thought it was a fluke with TomTom, but now that downloading Navigon had the same results, I guess not.

Everything works fine in iTunes (except downloading these two very large apps). I can download other apps with no issues. Since this problem occurred while downloading TomTom, I updated to Snow Leopard and updated to iTunes 9. Which makes it even more strange.

Maybe, deleteing iTunes and reinstalling it would fix it, but I'm not going to bother with that since I have a work around. I'm downloading it on my PC and I'll transfer the file to my Mac after it's done and then sync it onto the phone, but I'm still curious why this is happening.

Anyone have any ideas?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I just had the same results on my PC :(
Infinite download loop.
I'm going to try it again and disable my AV and FW right before it finishes.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I decided to try installing it directly on the phone. I plugged it in, turned the screen brightness down all the way and turned auto lock off. Now, I just need to play the waiting game for an hour and a half.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Captains log: Ditching this download on my iPhone now because it's taking way too long and I need to get some sleep and don't want to leave auto lock off. I just now finally see a sliver of progress on the progress bar.

At some point in the future, I might try taking my laptop over to a friends house and using their WiFi just to see if it's my network and also disabling the firewall on my Mac while it's going. But I don't see why that would make any difference, I just downloaded several small free apps on both computers just to see if they would work, and as usual, they did. It's just the bloated GPS apps that my computers (network?) dislikes.

P.S. can anybody hear me? jk

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Captains log: Still lost in space without usable navigation. No human contact for over three weeks now. Most correspondence prior to the last transmission relayed useless, although playful, jokes about the ongoing battle between the top two operating systems back on Earth. It's 1221, going to sleep, plan to take laptop to the station tonight and attempt navigation application download there while working.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
This is so weird. The only thing I can think of is that your ISP thinks you're torrenting and throttles your download speed in case you're doing something illegal. I know Comcast used to do this, but not sure if it's still legal for them to or not.

Do you have any problems downloading movies from iTunes?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Nope. No problem downloading movies from iTunes. The download speed is great the entire time it's downloading TomTom and Navigon. I do know for a fact that my ISP doesn't do that though. The way that they do that, is by decreasing the speed of everything that isn't http or port 80 to 256k. There is no way around it through port forwarding either. It's legal AFAIK, and intended to stop/limit torrenting by slowing you down, but in doing it they also inadvertantly have to drop ftp, email, and video chat speeds. Most people that don't torrent aren't going to notice, but they might notice that they are sending out crappy quality video while chatting and their email downloads slow, but still not realize it's their ISP that's doing it. If your ISP is doing this, iTunes isn't effected by it since you're downloading from a website. Anyway, I know my ISP doesn't so that can't be it.

I'm downloading it right now and going to turn off my firewall right before it completes and if that doesn't work, I'm going to take my laptop over to my parents house and download it on their network, just to troubleshoot.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Anyway, even if I want it or not, I'm on a quest to get it downloaded because two Navigon downloads are auto starting in iTunes each time I open it and it's asking me my password each time I open iTunes. I delete both downloads, but they keep popping up each time. It's never asked me for my password before (other than when I purchase an app) but for some reason, it's not remembering it when Navigon tries to auto start dl'ing.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I just tried downloading it on my phone itself and had the same results. So frustrating...

I doubt it's my network itself, but trying the download on the phone itself kind of rules out that the problem has something to due with iTunes (on the PC and Mac) itself. So I don't think I'll even bother trying to reinstall iTunes or run iTunes in Safe Mode. I think the problem has something to due with Apple verifying it at the end of the download. Still though, next on my list is to try downloading it on another network, so I'm going to take my laptop over to my parents and try it there. If that fails, I'm going to download it on my Dad's PC, copy the file to a flash drive and then put it on my Mac.

If any of my friends/family/coworkers had Navagon, I could just copy it from there iTunes and then paste it into mine, but I don't know anyone that has it. I legitimately purchased the app through iTunes on my account, so it will sync onto my phone fine once it's in iTunes. I just can't get the damn thing to successfuly download.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I think I might know what the problem is. Ever since the first download attempt this morning, every time I open iTunes, it wants me to log in. It's always auto logged me in up until today. I'm thinking, it's logging me out at some point in the download and thereforee, it can't verify the purchase with Apple when it gets to the end of the download, so it just restarts the download. This would explain why short to medium sized downloads work fine for me, as they don't take long enough to log me out.

Anyone have any ideas for keeping it logged into iTunes for the duration of the download? Maybe closing iTunes right before it completes, reopening it, logging in and then resuming the download would work?

I also have another idea. Perhaps Apple is blocking it since I haven't updated either phone to 3.1?

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
I've had a related problem with iTunes redownloading the gmap application about 5 times, this happened after gmaps issued an update which I didn't want, I was waiting for the second update which was the voice guidance.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Mine never installed in the first place. It just keeps downloading over and over again. I'm pretty sure it has to due with Apples verification process and speculating that it might be because I'm on 3.0.1, not 3.1.

Seriously wishing I would have just bought a stand alone GPS at this point. This freaking Navigon app is making me lose my will to live. I really need to step away from the computer for a few minutes before I go ape $hit...

I just want to delete it but it won't go away.

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
Since there seems to be no mention of this problem anywhere, it's probably safe to assume it's definitely on your end, and it affects the pc and mac, that rules out iTunes, most likey your connection...downloading at your friends house sounds like a good place to start.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
How does the problem occurring on my mac and my pc rule out iTunes?
It could be that Apple is blocking the verification for some reason.

I just used a different network to download the last MB, just in case my network was blocking verification at the end or something, and had the same results :(

EDIT: I just got off the phone with Apple Tech support. They consulted with several members of the iTunes team and they could see that there were 3 Navigon downloads in my iTunes cache, which I tried to delete multiple times but they keep coming back. The people at iTunes can delete these for you, which they did, and their only suggestion was to try the download Navagon again after having those deleted in case they were corrupt, or give me a refund. I opted for the refund because personally I don't think that would fix it. Throwing in the towel on this one.