under mail settings and enter my user name and password. I then click
save and it doesn't go through. I make sure I'm connected to the
internet by opening safari before i do this. i've tried this about
five times now and it still will not create the gmail account. I
carefuly watch each letter and number as I'm typing so I'm sure it is
not a typing error. I do have another option. I can simply go to
gmail on safari and read it there. This isn't as easy as just hitting
mail on the iPhone plus I have to pinch the screen on safari to get
gmail up to a size that is readable. However, it does work that way.
Does anyone else have gmail on an iPhone available through mail, not
safari,and if so, how did you get it there?

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
My .mac email account is working fine on my iPhone. However, I use
gmail most of the time, not .mac mail. It says on the iPhone that i
can add gmail as another email account. I click on the icon for gmail
under mail settings and enter my user name and password. I then click
save and it doesn't go through. I make sure I'm connected to the
internet by opening safari before i do this. i've tried this about
five times now and it still will not create the gmail account. I
carefuly watch each letter and number as I'm typing so I'm sure it is
not a typing error. I do have another option. I can simply go to
gmail on safari and read it there. This isn't as easy as just hitting
mail on the iPhone plus I have to pinch the screen on safari to get
gmail up to a size that is readable. However, it does work that way.
Does anyone else have gmail on an iPhone available through mail, not
safari,and if so, how did you get it there?
I have my gmail account set on my phone and it works just fine so I'm afraid that I may not be much help.

One thing that comes to mind though, maybe you can't have multiple e-mail accounts?

jbaraga

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.baraga.me
I have Gmail working on my iPhone in addition to my work e-mail, so I'm sure it has nothing to do with your other e-mail account.

Just to be sure, are you using your full e-mail address instead of just your Gmail username when you're setting up the account?

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
i cant get my gmail account to work either..

i got yahoo to work but it wont download any of my new messages.. i dunno
Don't forget to enable POP-Forwarding in your Gmail account settings. You can log in through Safari and make the change.

I had forgotten I switched my POP-Forwarding on until I tried to get my sister's Gmail syncing correctly.

Aug 13, 2007
this worked but forward question remains

i followed your instructions and it went right through. However, I don't know what to do with this first setting about disabling forwarding. Should I enable this and if yes, what email address do I put in? My .mac address? Does this mean I have to read Gmail in my .mac account? If yes, that is really going to wreck havoc with my space allocations on that account.

Why isn't this info in the iPhone users' manual? The iPhone users' manual, which I have printed in full for reference, was useless for this!

thanks, carol

Don't forget to enable POP-Forwarding in your Gmail account settings. You can log in through Safari and make the change.

I had forgotten I switched my POP-Forwarding on until I tried to get my sister's Gmail syncing correctly.

oliegirl

Jul 6, 2007
I was able to get my "main" gmail account working, along with a yahoo account, but have 2 other gmail accounts that I'd like to get on my iPhone, but I get an error message that the username or password are incorrect...I've tried many many times and have never been successful. If anyone knows of a fix for this please share! :)

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
i followed your instructions and it went right through. However, I don't know what to do with this first setting about disabling forwarding.
You want to enable POP-Downloading, it's the 2nd option and it will allow emails to bounce off gmail and out to their recipients as well as have emails forwarded to your iPhone. The Default settings are fine once you've enabled POP-Downloading.

Should I enable this and if yes, what email address do I put in? My .mac address? Does this mean I have to read Gmail in my .mac account? If yes, that is really going to wreck havoc with my space allocations on that account.
Don't enable Forwarding, Do enable POP-Downloading.

If you are setting up Gmail on your iPhone, so that it's automatically retrieved using the mail program, then you will need to put your Gmail email address when prompted, as well as your Gmail password.

I do not have a .Mac account to tell you how it works, and I would be very surprised if it wasn't also a default email conduit like Gmail and Yahoo are when you set up your Mail for the first time on the iPhone. If it works like Gmail, then it would be the exact same setup, place your .mac email address when where it's asked for, along with your .mac password, making sure that POP-Downloading (it may be referred to as PoP Forwarding sometimes) is enabled if in fact your .mac account offers that. You'll have to browse around the .mac site for the specifics on that, if it's even possible/offered.

Why isn't this info in the iPhone users' manual? The iPhone users' manual, which I have printed in full for reference, was useless for this!

thanks, carol
Apple has never really provided noteworthy instructions for it's products. I find the struggle makes me more inclined to foster affection for this pile of plastic and metal, dare I say it gives it a personality? It's all purely speculation, but the affinity mac users have for their hardware does lead me to believe much of it manufactured by Apple in how they market and sell their products.