Problems syncing iPod Touch with PC (xp)

Nov 27, 2008
I have a Windows XP. I purchased an iPod Touch a couple months ago and it has worked great...until today. I installed an update from iTunes, and ever since then, I have not been able to sync my iPod Touch to my computer.

The computer doesn't recognize the device. Whenever I plug in my iPod Touch to my computer, the "Found New Hardware" box appears and it wants me to install the software (which of course is not available).

Before, when I would plug it in, Windows would automatically recognize it as an iPod Touch. Now, the computer knows there is something there when I plug it in, but it doesn't know what it is.

iTunes doesn't recognize the device either. On the screen of my iPod Touch, there is a picture of a USB cable at the bottom. Above that is an arrow pointing up to a picture of the iTunes logo (a CD disk with a musical note). I can't get that image off the screen.

I have tried reinstalling iTunes and that didn't help. I have also followed most of the steps available at the official iTunes support site and haven't found anything useful there. I have also tried holding down the two buttons together, but that hasn't helped either.

Finally, when I go under the "Device Manager," it shows two USB Devices, both with yellow question marks over it as well as exclamation points, saying that "the drivers for this device are not installed."

Has anyone else run into this problem? If so, how did you resolve it? Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm at a loss here. Please help.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Unplug your iPod, and in Device manager right click on the devices. Then select "uninstall his device" and restart your computer. When it restarts try plugging it in again.

Nov 27, 2008
Still not working...

I did as the previous poster suggested: uninstalling the devices and restarting my computer, but it didn't fix anything.

Any other suggestions? I have also uninstalled and then reinstalled iTunes, hoping that it would reinstall the drivers necessary to recognize the iPod Touch on my computer, but that didn't help either.

Thanks!

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
What does device manager say now?

And when you reinstall iTunes, have you been using the same setup file, or downloading new ones from Apple each time? If you haven't tried getting a new one, try that. It's possible the setup file was corrupted during the download.