Problems syncing Photos after iOS5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Shanezam203, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Shanezam203

Shanezam203 Member
    Bronze

[​IMG]

I have around 30 folders of pictures nicely organized & I haven't had any problems syncing with my iPhone or iPad before the ios5 and iCloud update...
    Now all folders sync but some of them are Empty; any thoughts?

2. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

I haven't had any issues because i'm not using icloud just iTunes sync and ios5. Try your settings.

3. Shanezam203

Shanezam203 Member
    Bronze

I tried to delete the ipod photo cache folder and resync completely over night. It has all the folders, but 50% of them are empty.

Any idea why?

4. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

I've asked myself the same question. I've deleted the iPod Photo Cache folder over and over and it reappears. I think it's created when iTunes mentions it's OPTIMIZING the pictures during the sync process.

5. Shanezam203

Shanezam203 Member
    Bronze

It makes sense the folder re appears after a new sync, what I don't understand is why some folders are empty like the picture above... it's worked fine until recently & I have over 35,000 pics in over 30 folders.

6. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

I had this issue after a sync and what I realized was that the initial sync did not copy all of my pictures. I plugged the iPad in again and hit sync and some more came over. I had to do this around 3 times before I got them all. Since they it has been fine. I have actually switched PC's and the same thing happened again.

7. allan-vancouver

allan-vancouver New Member

I've had the exact problem: empty Albums or Events. Apple Support, IOS 5 Senior support rep, told me 2 days ago there is a known IOS 5 problem syncing large photo libraries (from Mac OS folders or from iPhoto or Aperture via iTunes). This may also happen with iTunes on Windows, but I don't have that setup. Up to 9000 files sync OK, but with more than that, things go wonky (my techspeak, not his .... I suspect a filespace management issue in the Photos app or IOS 5 itself). Apple Development are working on an update.

I was able to sync about 19000 photos/videos via iTunes by doing it incrementally, i.e. adding several Albums or Events each step containing a few thousand photos/videos each. I was able to do all of them by manually checking more and more until it was done; it took me an hour or two.

BTW when things are working correctly the iTunes "waiting" messages are normal, i.e., iTunes is waiting for IOS 5 to do stuff. IOS 5 creates all the empty Events or Albums first before moving any files, so they all start out empty. You can actually watch the Photos app in real time as it progresses. Be patient. Even if you terminate iTunes or reset the iPad/iPhone/iPod prematurely, things get messy. If you uncheck Photos completely on iTunes, it actually takes IOS 5 quite a while to remove the Albums/Events and all the photos -- several minutes on my iPad 2. IOS 5 and the Photo app do not provide information about what is going on, so they appear to be hung.

8. Shanezam203

Shanezam203 Member
    Bronze

I wiped all photos and I am adding photos 1 at a time, and I don't have an issue yet after 6 folders, 3,500 pics... but if I add 3 or 4 large folders then I will start to get some empty ones... I have Windows and have my pics neatly organized in a folder for pictures & have many sub folders I check...

9. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

Ah the subfolders may be the culprit. I think that iTunes will let you select a main picture directory and select any folders within that. However, if there are folders in those folders - i believe it will cause issues.

10. Shanezam203

Shanezam203 Member
    Bronze

They were working fine until this last week. I have 1 folder on my desktop and then folders in there like you see above.

Basement
    Bathroom
    Deck
    g37
    GT500

I select the folders I want to sync, and some show up Empty...

11. Shanezam203

Shanezam203 Member
    Bronze

When I do it 1 folder at a time, it's adding them without issue. but I only have 10 folders done... do you think its an issue when it comes to doing multiple folders at once?

12. kyb0y

kyb0y New Member

Is there an update to correct this bug? Very bad bug for those with lots of events.

13. Shanezam203

Shanezam203 Member
    Bronze

I find if you add a folder to sync 1 at a time, it doens't do this bug.

anyone else?

14. Shanezam203

Shanezam203 Member
    Bronze

Anyone else having this BUG if they sync multiple folders @ once some show up empty? but if I add them 1 by 1 they are Full?

15. Shanezam203

Shanezam203 Member
    Bronze

I am still seeing this in recent updates, anyone else seeing this bug syncing multiple folders of photos at once?

16. Nrevezzo

Nrevezzo Member
    Bronze

I think it's a problem with the sync software. It says complete but it isn't. I noticed this with my iPad. The sync on my PC appeared to be done but on the iPad it still showed that pics were still being processed.

17. Shanezam203

Shanezam203 Member
    Bronze

It's been like this for a few months, does Apple know about this bug?