Problems with AT&T!

dcjose20

Bronze
Aug 6, 2009
Corona, CA
My upgrade eligibility is on 10/1/12 and i decided that i was going to try and see if I could get an iPhone 5 so I called att on friday and they told me that since I was so close to my upgrade date that it would be no problem to get it for the subsidized price. Only problem was that everywhere I went, they were sold out, which I expected, so I decided just to go into ATT yesterday and order one and have it shipped to my house. The rep I talked to let me know that I could not order it for the subsidized price because my upgrade date wasn't until 10/1. I let him know that I had talked to ATT customer service on friday and that she reassured me it was not going to be a problem. The rep wouldn't budge and kept insisting that even if they could push my upgrade date, the system wouldn't allow it on the iPhone 5, but he said I could get any other phone if I chose to or I could order it at a discounted price which meant I would have to pay almost full price for the phone. This really made me mad. It is not like I was trying to get one in the store, all I wanted to do was just order one. Guess I'll have to wait until 10/1!

VOLS34

Zealot
Gold
Jun 25, 2010
If you order it will probably take a lot longer.

dcjose20

Bronze
Aug 6, 2009
Corona, CA
I figured that, so I guess I'll just have to wait until I can get my hands on one at either the Apple store or anywhere its carried.

btitus

Contributor
Silver
Apr 7, 2009
North Carolina
I know it's hard to wait but hopefully the next week will fly by for you and you can hopefully pick up a 5 without any hassles.

Sent from my iPhone5 using iCafe app

FFAP1234

Bronze
Jun 12, 2010
My upgrade eligibility is on 10/1/12 and i decided that i was going to try and see if I could get an iPhone 5 so I called att on friday and they told me that since I was so close to my upgrade date that it would be no problem to get it for the subsidized price. Only problem was that everywhere I went, they were sold out, which I expected, so I decided just to go into ATT yesterday and order one and have it shipped to my house. The rep I talked to let me know that I could not order it for the subsidized price because my upgrade date wasn't until 10/1. I let him know that I had talked to ATT customer service on friday and that she reassured me it was not going to be a problem. The rep wouldn't budge and kept insisting that even if they could push my upgrade date, the system wouldn't allow it on the iPhone 5, but he said I could get any other phone if I chose to or I could order it at a discounted price which meant I would have to pay almost full price for the phone. This really made me mad. It is not like I was trying to get one in the store, all I wanted to do was just order one. Guess I'll have to wait until 10/1!
Call back to customer service and ask to talk to a supervisor; tell her/him what is going on and ask for permission to order from Apple store. She/He can make the change in your account and then you can order on line showing there that u are eligible. I had the the situation last year and solved it that way. Good luck : )

btitus

Contributor
Silver
Apr 7, 2009
North Carolina
Call back to customer service and ask to talk to a supervisor; tell her/him what is going on and ask for permission to order from Apple store. She/He can make the change in your account and then you can order on line showing there that u are eligible. I had the the situation last year and solved it that way. Good luck : )
Or do that! Lol

smelton3

Bronze
Apr 5, 2011
I order my 4s slightly less than a month of the 18 months required before a fully subsidized device. This was last year. I reserved one via the Apple Store online. Went to the store during the time I requested on the reservation and paid $199 for a 16GB.
This year I was only 10 months into the 18 months. I just paid the extra because I had to have the 5.
Both with service through AT&T.
Guess my question: are they hassling you and you're almost to your 24th month or are you approaching your 18th month?

Sent from my iPad 3 or "new" iPad or whatever...using iCafe app

(L)

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Arizona
I've been out of contract for a month or two now and my upgrade status still says I may be eligible in May

Sent from my iPhone 4S using iCafe

dcjose20

Bronze
Aug 6, 2009
Corona, CA
I order my 4s slightly less than a month of the 18 months required before a fully subsidized device. This was last year. I reserved one via the Apple Store online. Went to the store during the time I requested on the reservation and paid $199 for a 16GB.
This year I was only 10 months into the 18 months. I just paid the extra because I had to have the 5.
Both with service through AT&T.
Guess my question: are they hassling you and you're almost to your 24th month or are you approaching your 18th month?

I'm approaching my 18th month.

dcjose20

Bronze
Aug 6, 2009
Corona, CA
I know it's hard to wait but hopefully the next week will fly by for you and you can hopefully pick up a 5 without any hassles.

Yeah that's what I'm hoping for. Maybe by then there will be more in stock.

smelton3

Bronze
Apr 5, 2011
Yeah, it's because you're just approaching the 18 months. Last year they were not moving on that date for me. However, my date last year was 12/24, Christmas Eve, they let me upgrade a week earlier. Now I just upgrade, pay the difference, and recoup the cost by selling the old device.

smelton3

Bronze
Apr 5, 2011
Yeah, it's because you're just approaching the 18 months. Last year they were not moving on that date for me. However, my date last year was 12/24, Christmas Eve, they let me upgrade a week earlier. Now I just upgrade, pay the difference, and recoup the cost by selling the old device.

MrEous

Silver
Dec 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
Obviously the store rep either didn't have or didn't think they had the authorization to upgrade you early...

dcjose20

Bronze
Aug 6, 2009
Corona, CA
So just as an update I finally have my upgrade and found an iPhone yesterday at a local radio shack. So glad i didn't order the phone and have to wait 3-4 weeks to get it. So far so good enjoying my new phone!