Problems with "Capture"

Bobby Digital

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
I was using Capture to get screen shots of my iPhone's themes and it freaked out and started flickering black and kinda white. I had to do A soft reset to get it to boot back up. It did this about 4 times but not in a row. The roblem is after the last time I did it, I went in to my pictures an they wont load. My camera wont work either. It acts like its going to load it but it goes back to the home screen. Are there any reported problems or fixes I can use to get my pictures to work again. It makes me sad...

Mcca21

Feb 20, 2008
if i were you i would uninstall capture and enable the iPhone screen shot, you can do this by installing bossprefs.

Bobby Digital

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
thats all well and good and I wil get down with one of these capture programs BUT for the time being, I cant view pictures and use my camera...any ideas besides resetting?

michael180

Zealot
Gold
Jun 14, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA
moderntimes.com
thats all well and good and I wil get down with one of these capture programs BUT for the time being, I cant view pictures and use my camera...any ideas besides resetting?
I assume you are jailbroken? It that's the case then you may be looking at restoring and rejailbreaking.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Before restoring, if you're not too concerned with losing Camera Roll pics / screencaps, you might want to try SSHing in and deleting the contents of, or these entire directories:
/var/mobile/ Media/DCIM/100APPLE
/var/mobile/Media/DCIM/999APPLE
Believe those should get recreated on the fly - and maybe by clearing their contents, you'll get past the current issue ...

Bobby Digital

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
Before restoring, if you're not too concerned with losing Camera Roll pics / screencaps, you might want to try SSHing in and deleting the contents of, or these entire directories:
/var/mobile/ Media/DCIM/100APPLE
/var/mobile/Media/DCIM/999APPLE
Believe those should get recreated on the fly - and maybe by clearing their contents, you'll get past the current issue ...
Im not worried about my camera roll because I can still get them whn I hook it up to my computer so its already backed up. What is SSH though. How do I get and use that?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Im not worried about my camera roll because I can still get them whn I hook it up to my computer so its already backed up. What is SSH though. How do I get and use that?
Here's a little how-to on SSH I did over at my site ...

Requirements & Assumptions:
A jailbroken iPhone. For this guide we will assume you are running the current latest iPhone firmware, Version 1.1.4.
An SSH program on your computer. A couple of good free options are WinSCP for a Windows PC, and Cyberduck for a Mac.
The BSD Subsystem installed on your iPhone. You’ll find this under the System category in Installer.
OpenSSH (or another SSH variant) installed on your iPhone. This is also found under the System Category in Installer.
iPhone and computer need to be on the same (usually wireless) network. For the sake of this guide, we’ll assume both are on a home wireless network.
An ability to turn SSH On and Off on the iPhone. SSH programs on the iPhone do not create an icon on the home screen, so one of the easiest ways to do this is to use the BossPrefs application on the iPhone (to install it you’ll need to add the BigBoss source to Installer - which is http://sleepers.net/iPhonerepo). There are other iPhone applications that do this as well, but BossPrefs is currenty the best of these in my view.

Steps
:
  • Make a note of your iPhone’s IP address. To find this, on your iPhone go to Settings > WiFi and tap on the blue arrow to the right of the name of your home network. On the screen that comes up, note the set of numbers listed in the IP Address field.
  • Turn SSH On, on the iPhone. With BossPrefs and other similar applications, this is just a matter of tapping on the SSH entry to toggle it on and off. Please Note: it is good idea to make sure you toggle SSH back off when you are through using it.
  • Launch your SSH app on your computer. WinSCP will land you on a new ‘Session’ screen straight away. On Cyberduck, you’ll need to choose ‘Open New Connection’. Then you need to fill in a few fields to specify how you want to connect and what device you want to connect to. The fields are named slightly differently depending on which program you use, but they are similar enough that you should be able to fill them in as follows:
    Hostname or Server = enter your iPhone’s IP address in this field
    File Protocol = should be SCP on WinSCP and SFTP on Cyberduck
    Username = enter ‘root’ (without the quotes) in this field
    Password = enter ‘alpine’ in this field (without the quotes) or whatever you have changed root’s password to, if you have ever changed it.
  • Once you have entered the information as above, hit ‘Login’ on WinSCP or ‘Connect’ on Cyberduck. It may take up to 30 seconds or so to connect.
  • You will see a confirmation message asking if you will accept key exchange / connection with the device with the iPhone’s address. You’ll need to say Yes or Allow on these.
Once connected, you are presented with an Explorer-like view of the file system on the iPhone, or of the iPhone and your own computer. Once there, you can copy files and folders back and forth between the computer and iPhone.