Problems with declining iPhone 3G battery life

asdfsad

May 30, 2008
I have only found a hand full of threads on here and they all don't seem to have a definitive answer. Perhaps someone could point me in the right direction with keywords for my search if they find this topic to be nothing more than added clutter to this forum.

I have had my 3G for about a year now and am wondering if I now have developed battery life issues with it. Before going to be last night, I decided to resync my phone with music and have it charged (it was close to 100% probably ~95%). I went to bed and the next morning it says that my battery currently sits at 20%. I checked the usage and it said that I had ~2 hrs. of usage and ~12hrs on stand by. (Mind you the meter was not reset because it was not fully charged.) The only things that I can account for the decline in the rapid battery life is listening to a few minutes of music before bed.

I want to make an appointment at Apple to see if there is a problem with the battery, but I don't want to drive out there just to have them do nothing and tell me it is all in my head. Is there anything they can do so diagnose the problem? Anyone experience a similar situation?

EDIT: There was no talk time between going to be and waking up.
EDITx2: I have the latest firm ware to date.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
If your phone has Location services on, BT on, WiFi on, and if you have it checking mail either by push or some time interval, then you are going to have usage.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Even with location and BT on etc, you battery drain shouldn't be that bad. I would see if it happens again, if it does then I would restore. If that doesn't fix it, book a genius apt.

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
were you in an area where you have bad service phone wise? could it have been searching for service? I have had several problems with my phone usage numbers climbing even when I am not using the phone. in fact it happened last week. I did a restore as a new phone and it solved the problem.

Andy65

Jul 27, 2009
I also experienced similar incident with my iPhone. I would recommend for you to please observe and see how often this happens.

Some things you may want to check: Settings like the wi-fi, make sure that you connect your USB cord directly (do not use USB hub), try to reset the settings, and lastly restore your iPhone (make sure you make necessary back up if need).

If all else fails, you can call iPhone Support or visit nearest Apple store.

Hope this helps!

Andy

I have only found a hand full of threads on here and they all don't seem to have a definitive answer. Perhaps someone could point me in the right direction with keywords for my search if they find this topic to be nothing more than added clutter to this forum.

I have had my 3G for about a year now and am wondering if I now have developed battery life issues with it. Before going to be last night, I decided to resync my phone with music and have it charged (it was close to 100% probably ~95%). I went to bed and the next morning it says that my battery currently sits at 20%. I checked the usage and it said that I had ~2 hrs. of usage and ~12hrs on stand by. (Mind you the meter was not reset because it was not fully charged.) The only things that I can account for the decline in the rapid battery life is listening to a few minutes of music before bed.

I want to make an appointment at Apple to see if there is a problem with the battery, but I don't want to drive out there just to have them do nothing and tell me it is all in my head. Is there anything they can do so diagnose the problem? Anyone experience a similar situation?

EDIT: There was no talk time between going to be and waking up.
EDITx2: I have the latest firm ware to date.