Problems with making calls and using data...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hawk, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

Ok, so I chalked it up to a buggy iOS, but now I am not so sure.
    I have been having problems for weeks with not getting my notifications most of the time, and recently I found out that I am not getting voicemail notifications for days after the message is left.
    I was on the phone with Chase customer service, and while talking with them, I tried to pull up my bank account and couldn't. In fact, I could not connect to anything that used data. I was thinking that there might be a problem in the area I was in, so I tested when I got home, and in 4 other places- all over 10 miles from each other. Same thing.
    So I call AT&T 611. When I hit dial, I watched as my 5 bars of LTE dropped to 1bar and then 5 bars of 4G. Strange right? Apparently, when I place a call, I automatically go to 4G- NO MATTER WHAT.
    I called AT&T, and they were baffled, and sent my phone an update. Didn't work. I'm thinking it's the SIM card, but wanted to check with other AT&T iPhone 5 owners who are in good LTE areas and see if any of you are experiencing a problem. (btw, as a side note, I did a battery test with LTE off, and I got just over half of what I normally get with LTE on. Either my phone is jacked, or my SIM is bad)
    Anyone else find that they cannot surf and talk at the same time (with wifi off) or are having other data issues?

2. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

Well, 2 very interesting calls with AT&T and then Apple support. AT&T said the phone is testing fine, but is unsure why browsing is neutered when on a call. They said I should hit an AT&T store and test the SIM in another iPhone 5.
    If the problem moves to another iPhone, it's the SIM. If it doesn't it's probably the phone.
    I then called Apple and explained what I was experiencing, and after resetting network settings (for the second time) and All settings, he made the same determination. He asked that I do a restore to rule out a faulty iOS, which I am doing now.

3. djwindsor

djwindsor Contributor
    Silver

Please keep us posted on how you make out. I'm really curious!

4. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

You do drop down to faux-G to make the phone call. AT&T can't do calls over LTE. But you should still be able to browse, as it's essentially just like the 4S at that point. And it should definitely not drain your battery faster than LTE, unless your nearest HSPA+ tower is much further away/much more attenuated than your nearest LTE tower, which would force the phone to crank up the radio power to compensate.

5. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

Well, that is basically the explanation I was given by AT&T about why I drop to 4G when placing a call, but it's not true... Least not for someone using a Samsung Galaxy II. He can talk and surf on LTE- or so his indicator says.
    Granted, he works pc/systems support for the yellow pages division here in Atlanta, but they don't get anything special except bill discounts.
    I have another friend that works with AT&T as well. I'm going to check with him.

6. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

7. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

Your friend is not smoking crack, his phone just has to have an extra radio and antenna so that it can be on 3G for the call and LTE for the data at the same time.

The iPhone 5 only has one radio, and it can't operate both 3G and LTE at the same time, so it has to fall back to take the call. Once Voice over LTE happens, this won't be a problem, but it is unclear whether the iPhone 5 is already ready for that, or if it can be done with a firmware update.