Problems with Outlook Syncing

JRoe

Jul 11, 2007
I had no problem initially syncing my iPhone with my MS Outlook Contacts and Calendar on my office computer through iTunes. Now after a week, it is not taking any of my additions or changes. I add new things to Contacts and Calendar but the iPhone does accept them after I run a sync. I have even reset the iPhone with the Factory Install and that doesn't appear to have helped.

Anybody have any ideas what's wrong?

J Roe

DeadSpider

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Vacherie,Louisiana
I had no problem initially syncing my iPhone with my MS Outlook Contacts and Calendar on my office computer through iTunes. Now after a week, it is not taking any of my additions or changes. I add new things to Contacts and Calendar but the iPhone does accept them after I run a sync. I have even reset the iPhone with the Factory Install and that doesn't appear to have helped.

J Roe
In iTunes, in the iPhone Menu.....
Select the Info tab and scroll all the way to the bottom.
There you will see the Advanced section with a few options.

It should read as....
Replace the information on this Phone
  • Contacts
  • Calenders
  • Mail Accounts
  • Bookmarks
-----------------------------
During the next sync only, iTunes will replace the selected information on this iPhone with information from this computer.

I have not used this option before, but it looks like something
you might want to look further into.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA

J Roe
Welcome to EiP!

I agree that you've done something to your Outlook settings in iTunes. You might want to make sure you've got all the appropriate boxes checked.

JRoe

Jul 11, 2007
To Dead Spider

Many thanks for the tip about the Advanced options at the bottom of the iTunes Info page. I never looked down that far, didn't know they even existed!

I think my problem now is with Outlook and not the iPhone. I keep getting synced with older information which would indicate that it's working off some cache file and not my most up to date ones. I'll work with my company's Tech Support to see if they can sort it out.

Thanks again for the good advise, though

J Roe

stokem

Jul 11, 2007
I'm having a sync problem, also. I can sync with the Outlook 2003 calendar on my home computer but not with Outlook 2003 calendar at work. Our IT people think it is because my office calendar is on an Exchange server and some of those settings may prevent the syncing. I've exported my office calendar as a .pst file and will import it on my home computer tonight and see if I can get it into the iPhone by syncing the iPhone to my home computer. Since I only keep one calendar, I think this will work for me. I did sync my contacts from my office computer to the iPhone. This works because the contacts on the local drive and not the exchange server. IT advises they expect some announcement by Apple to use some additional software such as MS Active Synch.

JRoe

Jul 11, 2007
Waiting for my Corporate Tech Support

Thanks Stokem,
I'm waiting on a guru with our corporate Tech Support to call me back to see what the problem is. It may be a server versus hard-drive problem but I won't know until tomorrow (Thursday, July 12th).
J Roe

JRoe

Jul 11, 2007
Contacts & Calendar Sync Problem Solved!

Great news! I found out what the problem was with my syncing of Contacts and Calendar.
If you click on "Help" in Outlook then "About . . " you will see a "Disabled Items" Button at the bottom right hand corner of the screen. In my case the "iTunes Add-on" had been disabled.
Once I corrected this, my Contacts and Calendar starting syncing perfectly to all my up to date changes, additions, deletions, etc. It was that easy!
I hope this helps some people who are having sync problems after having successfuly done it in the first place. Make sure nothing is disabled!

J Roe :laugh2:

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Great news! I found out what the problem was with my syncing of Contacts and Calendar.
If you click on "Help" in Outlook then "About . . " you will see a "Disabled Items" Button at the bottom right hand corner of the screen. In my case the "iTunes Add-on" had been disabled.
Once I corrected this, my Contacts and Calendar starting syncing perfectly to all my up to date changes, additions, deletions, etc. It was that easy!
I hope this helps some people who are having sync problems after having successfuly done it in the first place. Make sure nothing is disabled!

J Roe :laugh2:
Thanks for the update. This might be what's causing wjp his outlook issues as well.

JRoe

Jul 11, 2007
Colstiger,
See my most recent posting. Problem solved