Problems with Replacement process

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
Last month I was forced to make a replacement of my iPhone3G due to problems with battery life and overheating. I took the option where they send you a new phone and you send the faulty phone back to Apple. Today, I noticed that my credit card had been charged $531. This is over a month after the whole process took place. I packaged up my phone and sent it back as instructed. I talked to Apple today and they say the package arrived empty with no phone. Now there is going to be an investigation for fraud. I can't believe this. I did everything they instructed and now I might end up paying for the act of some criminal with either DHL or receiving at Apple. Has anybody else run into this before? Am I totally screwed?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
This totally sucks! The first thing I would do is contact the CC provider and see what protection you have through them.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Did you insure the package? It's been a while since I shipped something to Apple for repair, and I can't remember if shipping insurance was one of the requirements. You should contact DHL ASAP to report the issue and see if you have any recourse with them.

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
The shipping for the package was prelabeled via 1 day express through DHL. Apple had the label and return label all placed on the box. All I had to do was peel off the original label and repackage the box with the provided tape. I imagine DHL will be contacted by Apple. If I were to guess I would say it would be an employee at the receiving department who has access to the packing tape. They could just open the box, take out the phone and repackage. Then sell it. My question is can Apple trace the serial number on the phone if someone tried to activate it?

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
not sure what info I can give DHL. I no longer have the tracking numbers. they used to be on my email, but the email now says replacement cancelled and removed all the tracking info

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
all packages are insured up to $100 with DHL. they could not help me without a tracking number

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
That's right, they send you a prepared label - I'd forgotten about that. Do you still have the part that you peeled off? I think that has the tracking information for the return label on it somewhere.

I hope you can find the information somewhere and that Apple/DHL resolves this with no cost to you!

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
The infamous DHL strikes again. I've had many a package mysteriously vanish, when DHL claimed they left it in front of my house. Or the contents of packages vanishing enroute. This only seem to happen with DHL and no one else. I only use UPS or Fedex and would never recommend DHL to anyone.

DHL actually franchise out their delivery services, so the person who delivers your package, could be anyone. They are notorious for stealing customers goods.

I once had a camcorder stolen by a DHL delivery driver. DHL HQ pretty much told me to get lost my CC (Amex) company started legal proceedings against them. Amazingly, DHL found the camcorder a few weeks later. The idiot driver also forgot to take his tape out of the unit and clearly showed him flilming a BBQ with his familia. It was all the evidence we needed to file a police report.

Talk to your CC company and explore all avenues.

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
I have contested this charge with my bank. At least I don't have to pay interest on this while they figure out what is going on

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
What I do now is use that tape which has the special security stuff on it. If you cut it, it shows that is has been opened. I do this for all my eBay and returns stuff now.

Saves a lot of grief in the long run. If the box turns up tampered with, then you know the shipping company has been up to no good!

I have contested this charge with my bank. At least I don't have to pay interest on this while they figure out what is going on

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
That's right, they send you a prepared label - I'd forgotten about that. Do you still have the part that you peeled off? I think that has the tracking information for the return label on it somewhere.

I hope you can find the information somewhere and that Apple/DHL resolves this with no cost to you!
It does have it on the back of it.