Problems with signal and calls

skitzo315

Jul 28, 2009
I am having a big problem with my iPhone 3GS. I bought it about a month ago and ever since I have had a weak singal and have been having problems getting some calls. I get a weaker singal than I should be more importantly I will get 1 or 2 bars in the same place I had 5 bars the previous day. A bigger issue I am having is that I don't get a good portion of my calls. I have service but will never get the call. I will see a voicemail pop up without seeing any missed calls. I went to the Apple store and they exchanged the phone but I am still having issues. What should I do next? Should I get the SIM card replaced?

Jul 4, 2009
AT&T must have adjusted their network antenna in that area, if service worked before and does not now. Have you tried using a different phone, older phone, or a friends phone there to see if the other phone works better?
I don't see how the sim card would effect signal strength, unless you put in a sim that didn't come with the phone in the first place.
Try complaining to AT&T and see if they can fix it. Call the customer service, usually the retail stores can not do much.

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
Complaining will do no good and I don't think it is necessarily the network.

I have a 3GS where I had a 3G and I can say 100% that the 3GS does not get the same signal quality.

I believe this is yet another issue with the OS 3. I get calls that don't ring, or ring but don't display. I can be standing in the same place and I can watch 5 bars go to 1 then back to 5.

I can see a clear 3G data signal and yet have apps that complain about the signal not being available.

spampy22

Bronze
Jun 8, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
Same problems here. I've owned v1, 3G and now 3Gs and the 3gs by far has the worst signal so far.

MichaelF

Jul 28, 2009
Signal

I agree with ZipZap - there's not much you can do about it. I bought a early model of a signal booster from Wi-Ex (here) for my 3G and it helps with the inconsistent signals on the 3GS.

Andy65

Jul 27, 2009
I am having a big problem with my iPhone 3GS. I bought it about a month ago and ever since I have had a weak singal and have been having problems getting some calls. I get a weaker singal than I should be more importantly I will get 1 or 2 bars in the same place I had 5 bars the previous day. A bigger issue I am having is that I don't get a good portion of my calls. I have service but will never get the call. I will see a voicemail pop up without seeing any missed calls. I went to the Apple store and they exchanged the phone but I am still having issues. What should I do next? Should I get the SIM card replaced?
Yes, try having the sim card replaced. If that will not work, try using a different phone and do an experiment. If it's an issue with your 3GS then perhaps you need to go back to Apple.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

~Andy

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Take this with a grain of salt. The guys at the AT&T store told me its because they are upgrading the network to the 7.2mbps. Who knows how true it is.

Ive been having a strange issue related to this but my bars are always full. Last night I had full bars and my buddy tried calling me 3 times and it went right to VM. So I rebooted and tried calling him a couple times and it failed each time. Not sure what the deal is.

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
What I am sure of is that I am paying through the nose for service I am not getting.

I wish I knew how we could all collectively raise this as an issue and get it resolved.