Problems with syncing iPhone 3G

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Each time I sync my iPhone to the MacPro, iTunes goes into a "backing-up iPhone" mode which literally takes forever (a couple of hours:mad:). I must have it on some setting that makes it do that, but so far I can't figure it out. Any idea?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
As far as I know, this is going to happen every time you sync. I don't remember if it is a new iTunes thing or a V2 thing. The only thing I know to do is click the X to get it out of the backup mode. It will then continue to sync. Of course as you know every now and then you will want it to do the backup.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Maybe you can try checking off this little square at the bottom of this screen? It's under itunes->Preferences->Syncing. I'm not sure if that will take care of the problem though.

achilles

Jul 19, 2007
Arizona
Same problem here. I have V1 iPhone and after the official 2.0 update the backup takes around 60 minutes.

achilles

Jul 19, 2007
Arizona
As far as I know, this is going to happen every time you sync. I don't remember if it is a new iTunes thing or a V2 thing. The only thing I know to do is click the X to get it out of the backup mode. It will then continue to sync. Of course as you know every now and then you will want it to do the backup.
Thank you! I didn't even think of hitting the X. I will do backups less frequently now.

jbarrack

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
New York
www.facebook.com
Does anyones freeze sometimes and then the phone gets a white screen and resets itself? I am using a Mac OSX 10.5 with a 3G iPhone.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
You can manually scrap a backup in iTunes - just hit the little 'X' to the right of the backup operation up in the top progress bar during sync while it says 'Backing up ...' .

This will not cancel the rest of the sync, just the backup portion.

One thing to keep in mind though - one of the reasons backups are taking much longer is that all data held by your iPhone apps is now getting backed up during that piece. So for example if you use a voice notes app, when that app is getting backed up, it's not just the downloaded install files, it is your voice notes and meta data associated with them etc. So you may want to think about allowing backups once every X number of days or whenever you can tolerate walking away for however long and letting it do its thing ...