Problems with upgrading apps through iPod

Lish1080

Sep 23, 2009
I'm having multiple issues when I try to do free upgrading through the app store on my iPod. Sometimes I get the error message "Cannot retrieve download information. Please connect with iTunes." I connect the iPod to iTunes on my PC (running XP), and the iPod is authorized on my PC. I still get this error message! Sometimes I can get past this error and when I try to install the free upgrade, it tells me that it's "Unable to purchase", which doesn't make any sense to me since it's free! I also sometimes get the error message "Authorization failed. Please connect to iTunes". I've searched forums left, right and centre without any luck.

I would very much like to be able to upgrade my apps without having to use iTunes as I work for several hospitals and I don't want the end user to have to use iTunes due to security reasons. Is this going to be possible? Someone please help me!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Were the apps purchased under the same Apple/iTunes account you are logged in as? Have you tried logging in and out? Have you tried deleting and then redownloading the app on the iPod?

Lish1080

Sep 23, 2009
I tried all of that except for deleting and reinstalling the apps.

I ended up taking an iPod home to test it on my personal network and I was able to successfuly update the applications. I'm now working with our networking group to try and pinpoint what exactly is blocking the iPods from updating at work. It's likely the firewall, but I'll post again when we figure it out for people that are having similar problems

Thanks for your suggestion, Europa!