Professional Line Waiters!

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Please...get a job! Are you that desperate for money you need to sell spots in line? I want the iPhone on day 1 but if i can't get one due to demand i'll wait. I would never ever pay someone for their spot, that's ridiculous. Why would you take someone's spot who actually has the money for the iPhone just so you can make a couple of hundred bucks? Are you that broke, seriously? I think that a lot of people saying they will buy the iPhone won't be able to b/c of money. so if everyone just ignores these fools selling their spots in line, just wait and don't take their spot, b/c when the time comes they won't be able to buy one. hence, they waste hours of time in line only to feel like a complete moron, and us paying customers will be able to get one!
Cheese, you pizza delivery drivers need to get a job. Are you that desperate for money that you need to find people that want pizza but are too lazy to pick it up themselves? I want a pizza on a Friday night but if the store is too crowded I'll just wait till Saturday. I would never pay someone to deliver my pizza to me, that's ridiculous. Why would you take up space on the road that belongs to people who actually have money for a pizza just so you can make a couple of bucks? Are you that broke, seriously?

All kidding aside, it looks to me like the professional line waiters* do have a job - waiting in line. What's the difference between this and paying someone to go buy something for you. Ever heard of a personal shopper? That's a legitimate businesss. So the line holder seems to be legitimate. They provide a service. They aren't breaking the law. If they can make money doing it, then why not? Maybe you think it's unfair. Well chew on this.** If the line holder charges hundreds of dollars for a space, well, they aren't going to have that many takers, are they? And if they auction off their space in line, well, they probably won't make that much money. It all boils down to time. If they have to wait in line for 24 hours, well at a measily $10 an hour, that's $240***. Not too many people are going to spend $840 for an iPhone. So they HAVE to charge a lot of money just to make it worth their time. Chances are, the industry is doomed anyway. If the industry does take off, the clients will mostly be composed of people who are willing to pay something like $30, so the line holder would get there at 3:00, probably not taking up space near the front.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

*(hmmm... line waiters.. is that like a person that brings people in a line food, or someone who waits in line as a profession?)

**Now if they hold more than ONE place in line, that would be a different story. If this "industry" takes off, I imagine there would have to be some regulation in that regard.

***Hmm.. Maybe the line holder could get there 24 hours earlier and make an additional $240. Have to keep it fair. I imagine if the businesss takes off, a legitimate line holder would not start charging until the line forms. Or they would let the client pick the time to start waiting.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
Cheese, you pizza delivery drivers need to get a job. Are you that desperate for money that you need to find people that want pizza but are too lazy to pick it up themselves? I want a pizza on a Friday night but if the store is too crowded I'll just wait till Saturday. I would never pay someone to deliver my pizza to me, that's ridiculous. Why would you take up space on the road that belongs to people who actually have money for a pizza just so you can make a couple of bucks? Are you that broke, seriously?

All kidding aside, it looks to me like the professional line waiters* do have a job - waiting in line. What's the difference between this and paying someone to go buy something for you. Ever heard of a personal shopper? That's a legitimate businesss. So the line holder seems to be legitimate. They provide a service. They aren't breaking the law. If they can make money doing it, then why not? Maybe you think it's unfair. Well chew on this.** If the line holder charges hundreds of dollars for a space, well, they aren't going to have that many takers, are they? And if they auction off their space in line, well, they probably won't make that much money. It all boils down to time. If they have to wait in line for 24 hours, well at a measily $10 an hour, that's $240***. Not too many people are going to spend $840 for an iPhone. So they HAVE to charge a lot of money just to make it worth their time. Chances are, the industry is doomed anyway. If the industry does take off, the clients will mostly be composed of people who are willing to pay something like $30, so the line holder would get there at 3:00, probably not taking up space near the front.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

*(hmmm... line waiters.. is that like a person that brings people in a line food, or someone who waits in line as a profession?)

**Now if they hold more than ONE place in line, that would be a different story. If this "industry" takes off, I imagine there would have to be some regulation in that regard.

***Hmm.. Maybe the line holder could get there 24 hours earlier and make an additional $240. Have to keep it fair. I imagine if the businesss takes off, a legitimate line holder would not start charging until the line forms. Or they would let the client pick the time to start waiting.

Exactly ^. It looks to me like they DO have a job. If people are willing to pay for that then so be it. Just like people who pay double or triple the price of next gen systems when they were sold out.

iphonenotify

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
I would just like to clarify some things.

1. Im 15 so job is out of the question

2. I have enough money to get the iPhone

3. my friends are doing this who are also 15.

4. we are not professional line waiters.

5. don't question my integrity question my friends.

Thats all.:p

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
what a stupid idea.......
Really? Stupid? I think it's quite smart. I think you're just mad that you didn't think of it first. And you're upset that it appears to be unfair. But it's really not. Only if they hold more than one place in line is it unfair.

billnye97

Contributor
Silver
Jun 21, 2007
Cleveland
On another note, my friend was helping me wait in line for a PS3 at Best Buy and someone offered him 300 bucks for his "spot" in line. He took it immediately stunned that someone offered that much. It was the most ridiculous thing I've seen in a while.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
The line is a social construct. The rules of the line are an unspoken agreement between the people in the line. No one (in many cases) has any authority over the line. It's just mob rule. If the line is forming outside the property of the Apple/At&T store, they have no authority over the line. So, since it's mob rule, if you have a problem with someone doing something "unfair" then ask the mob. Let the masses in the line decide.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
Really? Stupid? I think it's quite smart. I think you're just mad that you didn't think of it first. And you're upset that it appears to be unfair. But it's really not. Only if they hold more than one place in line is it unfair.
No I am not mad that I didn't think of it, I have no need to make money like that nor would I waste my time waiting in line for someone else when all I care about is getting MY phone. I don't think it is unfair I just think that the idea is based on the premise of making petty cash while doing nothing at all.

mav

Bronze
May 9, 2007
1. Im 15 so job is out of the question
I worked when I was 15, bagging groceries at a local supermarket in the summer.

Geez kids these days, huh? So how can a 15 year old afford an iPhone and the $100 monthly bill from AT&T? Rich mommy and daddy? Maybe this is a better question... Why does a 15 year old need an iPhone at the first place?

If and when my future 15 year old kid asks me to buy him/her an iPhone, I'm going to laugh.

jordan

Bronze
Jun 18, 2007
Oklahoma
i just can't wait till some little punk ass kid tries to cut in front of me because his little friend was "saving his spot" line waiter or not, i am not putting up with that bs.

Marksman

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
^^^Yeah except more people will come and ignore your "list".

UNLESS you guys are dedicated to that list and you're willing to fight for it. (happened to me before, we had a list but all the oncoming people ignored it)
'
No I am talking about the stores taking the list.

When you show up in line they go down the line and make a not of everyone's drivers license.

When it comes time to open up, they can call you in in order that they have you listed on the list. That way no swapping out, no switching, no place holding.

cobalt24

Bronze
May 31, 2007
Please...get a job! Are you that desperate for money you need to sell spots in line? I want the iPhone on day 1 but if i can't get one due to demand i'll wait. I would never ever pay someone for their spot, that's ridiculous. Why would you take someone's spot who actually has the money for the iPhone just so you can make a couple of hundred bucks? Are you that broke, seriously? I think that a lot of people saying they will buy the iPhone won't be able to b/c of money. so if everyone just ignores these fools selling their spots in line, just wait and don't take their spot, b/c when the time comes they won't be able to buy one. hence, they waste hours of time in line only to feel like a complete moron, and us paying customers will be able to get one!

The kid's 15... leave them to their childs-play.. ;)

cobalt24

Bronze
May 31, 2007

Geez kids these days, huh? So how can a 15 year old afford an iPhone and the $100 monthly bill from AT&T? Rich mommy and daddy? Maybe this is a better question... Why does a 15 year old need an iPhone at the first place?

If and when my future 15 year old kid asks me to buy him/her an iPhone, I'm going to laugh.
MAV! AGREED! Finally! I thought I was the only one thinking "why are all these young kids getting iPhones? I didn't have a cell phone until after I graduated high school, had my own job, and went 2,000 miles away from home for college. And I'm not that old (early 20's) - so this seems like a very recent phenomenon: but now even middle school aged kids have cell phones! I don't know what these kids' "allowance" is, but apparently it ain't a quarter a day. :-p

If I ever have kids, even if I'm a millionaire, they will have to appreciate whatever they buy until they are 18: not just have sights on whatever they wish for on a whim.

:-D

Sorry, iPhonenotify, this is not a commentary on you directly, I don't know you and I can't tell you whether or not you appreciate what you have/will have or not. Not my place to judge to begin with. Just a general commentary on seeing so many kids with expensive phones. !

Kyled8888@gmail.com

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
Hey, some of us 'kids' do work for our money. I'm 17 and have worked pretty hard this summer saving up for this phone. Albeit, most of the kids getting one probably haven't worked for it, try not to generalize ;)

cobalt24

Bronze
May 31, 2007
Hey, some of us 'kids' do work for our money. I'm 17 and have worked pretty hard this summer saving up for this phone. Albeit, most of the kids getting one probably haven't worked for it, try not to generalize ;)

Hey, good job! Exactly, though, that's what I meant by "appreciating" what you buy. :) And again, as I said, I cannot comment on nor judge anyone here since I don't know any of you, but it was merely a commentary on the level of kids, many times very very young, with cell phones in this country, period. Congrats and I hope you enjoy!

Kyled8888@gmail.com

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
Lol, it has gotten a little crazy. My 8 year old cousin has a cell phone. I think that is a little ridiculous, haha. And as for this guys idea about holding a spot in the line, kudos for the capitalistic approach on making money. I think it's a great idea, but in practice, probably won't work. Like you guys said, if some little kid said he was holding a friends place in line, it could get very ugly very quick. But wait to think out of the box :) Go capitalism!

iphonenotify

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007

Huh? why do you need one. oh yes, you don't. Might want to reconsider that statment and not put me at the same level as your kids. I don't want to insult you, but I doubt your kids know as much as I do. Frankly, I doubt you do. But all of this is ok because I don't care anymore. So no arguments please.:laugh2:

iphonenotify

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
MAV! AGREED! Finally! I thought I was the only one thinking "why are all these young kids getting iPhones? I didn't have a cell phone until after I graduated high school, had my own job, and went 2,000 miles away from home for college. And I'm not that old (early 20's) - so this seems like a very recent phenomenon: but now even middle school aged kids have cell phones! I don't know what these kids' "allowance" is, but apparently it ain't a quarter a day. :-p

If I ever have kids, even if I'm a millionaire, they will have to appreciate whatever they buy until they are 18: not just have sights on whatever they wish for on a whim.

:-D

Sorry, iPhonenotify, this is not a commentary on you directly, I don't know you and I can't tell you whether or not you appreciate what you have/will have or not. Not my place to judge to begin with. Just a general commentary on seeing so many kids with expensive phones. !
Fair enough. Just want you to know that I walk my neighbor's dog. I don't consider it a job, but thats how I saved up. I started in January, so I have plenty to buy the phone on my own. The plan is a different story. You got me there.

iphonenotify

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
well, someone just bought my friends spot in line for $230. Guess people are interested. There is no way that I would pay that much.