Profiles or an App?

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
I am 18 days away from a discounted upgrade eligibility. My Q9h has sound profiles for "normal, silent, vibrate, outdoor & automatic". The profiles have customizable characteristics such as loudness. Event sounds & rigntones are customized at the system level. Depending on my calendar status, free or busy, my phone can switch from normal to vibrate, for example, when I go say to the movies or church.

I also have a program that can shut down the phone (say, at night), send an SMS, switch to airplane mode and other functions on a one time schedule or on a recurring basis.

Are there any apps that can change the behavior of the iPhone based on your calendar/scheduled events as described above?

advTHANKSance

thealiencow

Bronze
Sep 14, 2008
Are there any apps that can change the behavior of the iPhone based on your calendar/scheduled events as described above?
Third party applications on the iPhone are not allowed to run in the background as you are used to on Windows Mobile. Thus, there is no way for them to do these types of things automatically.

Without hacking the OS, there is no way to change the alert sounds on the iPhone, only the ringtone, and that is quite a task.

One nice thing, though, is that the phone can be switched between ring and vibrate (or silent, your choice) with a button on the side. This makes it easy to tell which mode the phone is in, but it can't help you remember to change it when you're in a meeting. The ringer volume can be controlled as well with up and down buttons.

I know it can be disappointing that these types of basic features are conspicuously absent from iPhone, but the ease of use and better stability compared with Windows Mobile for me makes the switch worth it.