Program wanted: Task Manager

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
Any developer out there that wants to build a really useful program, please create a task manager that will display only those 3rd party programs that are running in memory even though they are not showing on the screen but leave off the standard processes running for the OS.

The reason I think this would be helpful is today my battery was at 50%. I played around with some different programs and then exited them by pressing the home button. I put the phone down for about 20 minutes with nothing showing as running on it. When I went to get back on it the battery was totally dead. I assume something stayed running in the background and used up the battery. If there were a task manager we could then show anything still running in memory yet not required by the OS and we could then close it as needed.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
Any developer out there that wants to build a really useful program, please create a task manager that will display only those 3rd party programs that are running in memory even though they are not showing on the screen but leave off the standard processes running for the OS.

The reason I think this would be helpful is today my battery was at 50%. I played around with some different programs and then exited them by pressing the home button. I put the phone down for about 20 minutes with nothing showing as running on it. When I went to get back on it the battery was totally dead. I assume something stayed running in the background and used up the battery. If there were a task manager we could then show anything still running in memory yet not required by the OS and we could then close it as needed.
If you hold down the home button for 7 seconds, it should terminate the program. I assume this works for all apps, not just the ones that came with the iPhone.

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
I use Terminal-vt100 and run the "top" command to see which processes are currently active. You can always then use the kill command to shut down any apps.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
Thank you all. I have Sys Info on my phone and never even noticed the Processes listing in there before. That will help narrow down which ones fail to exit when you press Home. Firewire, you are completely correct that will thoroughly kill any program running but I don't want to have to do that every time I want to exit something. I think with a combination of Sysinfo to see which do not terminate and then using the press and hold method to shut those off I should be good now. Thank you all for the info.

Enigmanic, Is the command you use simply "top" or are there more variables after that command? I am still learning unix/linux and have not seen that command before.

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
Thank you all. I have Sys Info on my phone and never even noticed the Processes listing in there before. That will help narrow down which ones fail to exit when you press Home. Firewire, you are completely correct that will thoroughly kill any program running but I don't want to have to do that every time I want to exit something. I think with a combination of Sysinfo to see which do not terminate and then using the press and hold method to shut those off I should be good now. Thank you all for the info.

Enigmanic, Is the command you use simply "top" or are there more variables after that command? I am still learning unix/linux and have not seen that command before.
Yep, it's simply "top". You'll then have to ^C to get back to the prompt (just tap on the black screen area and select ^C). And if you want to kill any running processes, simply type:
kill number

where number is the actual PID number of the app.

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
If you click on the running process in sysinfo there is actually a kill button you can hit there. You don't even need the term-VT100 app to do it.