Proof of speaker mod effectiveness. DO IT!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
So as some of you may know, I got a new iPhone under warranty yesterday (due to a bad camera sensor... perhaps you saw my funky pics). So I decided to lay to rest any questions whether or not poking holes in the speaker actually does anything to affect the volume.

So here's what I did: I set up a microphone right against the iPhone speaker (actually touching it to eliminate any setup inconsistencies) and recorded the first few bars of one of my favorite tunes. Then I did the hole-pokey thing and did it again, exact same setup, same gain on the mic pre, still touching the speaker, and recorded the difference.

You can see from the pic that the difference is obvious. And the actual numbers prove it. With the setup I used, the unmodded iPhone speaker peaked at -8 dBfs while the modded one peaked at -3.4 dBfs. That's a 4.6 dB increase. Now for those who don't understand decibel measurement, it's exponential so that 1 dB difference you would barely notice. But 3 dB is quite a noticeable bump and 6dB is, technically, twice as loud!

So yes, this mod is worth doing. No one's punctured their speakers yet to my knowledge, and no one has been denied service by Apple because of it (hey, at least I wasn't!)

If you need more proof, check out the MP3.

Do it!

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
nice! I'm still not poking holes in my speakers. I have mine on vibrate most of the time anyways!

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
Thank you for showing this. I have noticed a great increase in the volume on my phone after doing this.

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
Come on boys, I'm the coward of the forum too afraid to JB, even I did this. Try it, it really works well!

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Come on boys, I'm the coward of the forum too afraid to JB, even I did this. Try it, it really works well!
Buffy, you really need to jailbreak your iPhone. The new ways to jailbreak are very painless and quick (like a good death) and there's a wealth of good third party software out there.

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
nice! I'm still not poking holes in my speakers.
LOL...but you gotta hand to the man...he put some accurate proof together for us...the question is..will you do it...do it-do it...

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
So as some of you may know, I got a new iPhone under warranty yesterday (due to a bad camera sensor... perhaps you saw my funky pics). So I decided to lay to rest any questions whether or not poking holes in the speaker actually does anything to affect the volume.

So here's what I did: I set up a microphone right against the iPhone speaker (actually touching it to eliminate any setup inconsistencies) and recorded the first few bars of one of my favorite tunes. Then I did the hole-pokey thing and did it again, exact same setup, same gain on the mic pre, still touching the speaker, and recorded the difference.

You can see from the pic that the difference is obvious. And the actual numbers prove it. With the setup I used, the unmodded iPhone speaker peaked at -8 dBfs while the modded one peaked at -3.4 dBfs. That's a 4.6 dB increase. Now for those who don't understand decibel measurement, it's exponential so that 1 dB difference you would barely notice. But 3 dB is quite a noticeable bump and 6dB is, technically, twice as loud!

So yes, this mod is worth doing. No one's punctured their speakers yet to my knowledge, and no one has been denied service by Apple because of it (hey, at least I wasn't!)

If you need more proof, check out the MP3.

Do it!

word...now that's what i'm talkn about...this man just aint talkn the talk...he posted some proof up here...official naughmeen! and if the pic aint enough my man put the mp3 up here for yall kats...and then if that aint enough he might put a video up on this joint..word...good lkn

one other question...got any specs on the speaker itself, like a pic ...where the speaker itself is positioned in the phone?

Last edited by a moderator:

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
..and then if that aint enough he might put a video up on this joint..word...good lkn
hehe, thanks. No video (though I thought about it).

Someone posted a picture of the inside of the iPhone that showed how much room you have before you hit the speaker, but I can't locate it now.

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
hehe, thanks. No video (though I thought about it).

Someone posted a picture of the inside of the iPhone that showed how much room you have before you hit the speaker, but I can't locate it now.
AH MAN I NEED THAT ..let me know when locate it on instant

paa79594

Silver
Jul 23, 2007
Los Angeles
www.theplasticguys.com
I'm a little torn on the speaker poking. On my old 8 gig, I did it and was pretty pleased with the speakerphone part, but the iPod sounded distorted. Now when I hang out with my friend who has my old iPhone and he plays his iPod, it makes me feel better that I never did it on my new one.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I'm a little torn on the speaker poking. On my old 8 gig, I did it and was pretty pleased with the speakerphone part, but the iPod sounded distorted. Now when I hang out with my friend who has my old iPhone and he plays his iPod, it makes me feel better that I never did it on my new one.

Well, the mere physics of the thing conclude that if you crank the volume all the way on a loud track.... it's gonna distort! Personally, I feel the phone distorted much sooner before the mod than it does now. It's much clearer overall.

Unless I'm using headphones, I always keep the iPod EQ on bass reducer mode. I can crank it much louder when playing through the speakers that way, and it even sounds better in my car (Just as an aside...I think the Aux input on my car's system has a limiter or something on it, and reducing the bass at the source and making it up with the car's EQ sounds much more open.... )

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
Buffy, you really need to jailbreak your iPhone. The new ways to jailbreak are very painless and quick (like a good death) and there's a wealth of good third party software out there.
I know - I'm going to take the leap soon. I want to read up a bit on what to do once I jailbreak - this is a deep rooted fear. ;)

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I know - I'm going to take the leap soon. I want to read up a bit on what to do once I jailbreak - this is a deep rooted fear. ;)
JOIN... US... JOIN... US... :cool:

Heh, it's just fun to say that.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
Dude! The only thing that will make it sound distorted is the act of recording/making a ringtone at too high a level. Poking holes in the grill have NOTHING to do with distorted sound. Poke the holes, for crying out loud....

wrhutch

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
Pottsboro Texas
good lk on the info i'll keep that in mind...know of any pics on this
I couldn't find the original picture that I posted but look at this one. The speaker is on the right in this picture. There is a protective film just inside of the speaker grill that has been removed from this picture.

Edited: It's picture #3 on the page.