Pros and Cons of Jailbreak

PhoenixLament

Bronze
Apr 26, 2008
What are the pros and cons to jailbreaking the iPhone? i just got it last week and love it, but there are so many things i've imagined adding to it, but don't know the risks and all.

I'd love to add an irc client into it, and maybe a remote desktop app, msn, aim, ect. Are a few things i'd like to put on the phone, but do the goods weigh out any bads?

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
This is the best way I can put it:
Pros - Almost unlimited possibilities
Cons - Voids warranty (but you could always restore back to original firmware and theres no way to tell)

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Everybody looks at it differently. Up until around last January, I disliked jailbreaking because I thought that most of the applications available were useless and unstable. Then I decided to try it for about a week and I ended up sticking with it, as my phone is jailbroken now. I will be restoring in June however, once Apple's AppStore comes out.

Pros:
Almost anything is possible in terms of developing an application.
You can customize the look of the phone.
If you aren't that experienced with computers, the process gives you a chance to learn some.
There are several helpful people that will help you should you come across an issue.

Cons:
It voids the warranty.
If something goes wrong, there is a 99% chance that it can be fixed, but there is a chance of your iPhone becoming bricked, or inoperable.
Apple does not like jailbreaking.
You do need to careful about what you install.

- John

Ohmster

Silver
Jan 26, 2008
SoCal
I will be restoring in June however, once Apple's AppStore comes out.
- John
John,

Why? Do we know that JB phones will not play with the AppStore? Can we not have both? I'm sure there will be SDK developed apps that will not make it to the AppStore and are still worthwhile getting. Just like the unapproved apps today....

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
John,

Why? Do we know that JB phones will not play with the AppStore? Can we not have both? I'm sure there will be SDK developed apps that will not make it to the AppStore and are still worthwhile getting. Just like the unapproved apps today....
No, I'm sure jailbroken phone will work fine with the AppStore, I'm just choosing to go stock once Apple is offering apps.

- John

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
No, I'm sure jailbroken phone will work fine with the AppStore, I'm just choosing to go stock once Apple is offering apps.

- John
Yeah, that was always the plan for me. I love a jailbroken phone, but i'll always be a bit uneasy when i'm using applications that are not supported by Apple.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
June is getting closer..........:)
Indeed it is, and it's been almost tow months since Steve told us of the AppStore, so we're doing well as far as staying sane goes.

- John

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
Yeah, that was always the plan for me. I love a jailbroken phone, but i'll always be a bit uneasy when i'm using applications that are not supported by Apple.
i know what you mean. i am never one to break the rules, and even now i feel guilty about jailbreaking my phone lol

H

Hayesimus

I don't break the rules either. Rules that matter. Rules that are in place for contrived reasons? Those I break. lol.

Banjo456

Bronze
Apr 27, 2008
I don't break the rules either. Rules that matter. Rules that are in place for contrived reasons? Those I break. lol.
Im new could someone please explain this Jailbreaking deal to me

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
jailbreak! Jailbreak! Jailbreak!

Its fun.
its personal.
Its safe......" in my opinion. Everyone not carrying there phone in a case or skin of some kind is taking a bigger risk than me.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
to be perfectly honest, everyone raves about jailbreaking, unless your some form of hard core modder then it doesn't really matter!
because when you sign up for your iPhone, you know what it does and what it doesn't! and if you don't then you damm well should!

so if you want to jailbreak and have the extra features, then crack on, its really not that exciting! yes there are a few amazing apps but theres also loads of really really boring/poo ones!

i have jailbroken twice! just to see how easy it is! and it is so simple, i did it 2hours ago! just because somebody mentioned an app!

if you want to do it quick and easy use ziPhone, i've been all over the place asking questions about the software itself, flawless i believe! but thats upto you to find out!

in my mind, i simply love the iPhone for what it is! all good things come to those who wait! and if the iPhone was supposed to come with picture messaging straight way then it would of done! and its exactly the same with copy n paste!
just wait!

because all you'll do anyway is restore before the new firmware anyway!

H

Hayesimus

well, i think you are partially correct. it is easy to jailbreak. the reason is because you don't lose anything in the process and its quick. What I think is important to point out is that its NOT easy to go STOCK. EW! Not having your wallpapers, and ringtones, and games, and custom sounds... NO WAY...

chcorey52

Silver
Dec 25, 2007
ya i really enjoy my jailbroken iPhone. i picked up one of my friends the other day and i totally forgot what a stock one looked like... i was like wow.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I jailbroke after the March 6th announcement of the SDK release. I planned to stay stock until SDK, but figured what the heck.... live lose for 4 months and see what everyone is talking about.

And you know what? I've really grown to love it and consider it indispensable. Sure, I could live without 95% of my apps. It's that last 5% that will probably make me hang on to my jailbreak until A. those apps are available through Appstore or B. I can happily have legal Appstore apps and jailbroken apps at the same time. I think B is entirely feasible.

unkmark

Bronze
Apr 3, 2008
i personally thing the iPhone is junk, unless it is jailbroken.

it is like night and day difference

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
its not that bad in stock condition! just think when u first saw the iPhone! you wanted it for what it was!

then you/me/everyone got greedy and wanted more!

H

Hayesimus

no I was disappointed after the first week because of how limited it was. Not that i would return it. But when I jailbroke it was like angels singing...