Pros/cons of jailbreaking iPhone 3G

Jul 25, 2009
Can anyone tell me the basic pros/cons of jailbreaking an iPhone 3g?

unitas

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
Cons: Don't call Apple or AT&T for support. It makes it worse on the people who don't jailbreak their iPhones.

Cons: Stability and Battery issues

Cons: How much is your time worth?

Pros: Apps that may never be on Apple's App Store.

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
Pro: You can get the much needed backgrounder app. Kicks Apples idea of an adequate compromise in the ass (push notifications).

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
Pro: Jailbreak is easier than ever to do
Great apps
Great support in this forum
Con: Gotta restore or wait for new jailbreak with each firmware update or trip to Apple store with issues.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Cons: Apple FW updates aren't quick and painless anymore. You have to restore the phone to factory settings, then do the update and rejailbreak. This isn't difficult, it just takes a couple hours to go through the whole process and set it up again. It's just a nuisance. Running things like backgrounder come with a price, which is battery life. This is a given, everything is a trade off. You may experience some lag. It is not an issue on the 3GS. You have to restore before taking it in to Apple for service, if you bring it to them jailbroken, they will just hand it back to you and tell you you voided the warranty.

Pros: The Apple restrictions are removed and you gain root access. You can then do things such as theming and changing fonts, running background apps, save YouTube videos to the phone, tethering, respond to texts from within any app, see snapshots of your incoming emails from within any app, add custom SMS tones, have live weather on you homescreen, unlock and use prepaid SIM cards in foreign countries you visit, saving you tons of money, use video ringtones, stream live video, spoof a phone number and disguise your voice, trick the phone into thinking it's on WiFi when it's on 3G so apps like Skype and Slingbox work like they should. Have quick access to settings toggles. Have a full brightness flashlight. The list goes on...

I recommend jailbreaking. You can always restore and go back to stock if you're not happy with it.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Cons: Stability and Battery issues
Actually, jailbreaking can help battery life and is one of the reasons I jb my 3GS so quickly. SBSettings makes the turning off and on of battery draining functions a breeze.

--
Mike

Jul 25, 2009
Con:

you could turn it into a $400 dollar paper weight if you aren't adept at jailbreaking.

Jul 25, 2009
Nonsense. A stock iPhone is always a restore away.

--
Mike
Beg to differ I have had more friends come to me and say "It won't turn on.. I tried to jailbreak and it never worked again." Grant it they got replacements, but still if you don't say "what's jailbreak?" I think you'd end up with a $400 paperweight.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Beg to differ I have had more friends come to me and say "It won't turn on.. I tried to jailbreak and it never worked again." Grant it they got replacements, but still if you don't say "what's jailbreak?" I think you'd end up with a $400 paperweight.
Please stop with the ignorant chicken little nonsense. (And maybe find some smarter friends?)

Again, a stock iPhone is only a restore away.

--
Mike

Jul 25, 2009
Please stop with the ignorant chicken little nonsense. (And maybe find some smarter friends?)

Again, a stock iPhone is only a restore away.

--
Mike
Sorry man, just trying to contribute

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Sorry man, just trying to contribute
That's fine, and welcome to EIC.

But chill out and get to know the place a little, instead of jumping right in and spreading FUD. Browse the jb forums and you'll see thousands and thousands of posts. No bricks, no paperweights.

Again, welcome to EIC.

--
Mike

Jul 25, 2009
That's fine, and welcome to EIC.

But chill out and get to know the place a little, instead of jumping right in and spreading FUD. Browse the jb forums and you'll see thousands and thousands of posts. No bricks, no paperweights.

Again, welcome to EIC.

--
Mike
Wouldn't say FUD it's a possibility, but wouldn't you say to someone new do not do it unless you have some idea..

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Wouldn't say FUD it's a possibility, but wouldn't you say to someone new do not do it unless you have some idea..
Dude, for the third time, it won't turn into a paperweight. It can ALWAYS be restored.

--
Mike

djwindsor

Contributor
Silver
Jul 7, 2009
Neponsit, NY
Definitely Agree

I can't understand anyone having difficulty with a JB. Very easy and if you want to reset to factory settings its just a restore and you're done. Anyone that says otherwise does not know what they're talking about.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
If they end up with an ALOD, the fix is only a Google search away. I have only heard of one truly bricked iPhone on this forum in the past year and a half. It was jailbroken and Apple replaced it. Nearly every time someone comes here saying their phone is bricked, it is not truly bricked and the phone can easily be restored by going into DFU mode. It's probably the most misused word in the iPhone dictionary. Jailbreaking is safe.

beautifulliar

Bronze
Jun 10, 2007
I had a jailbraked iPhone for a few months. Those months my iPhone was pretty unstable. When I restored I was relieved to have a smoothly running iPhone again. For awhile it was fun. I customized the sounds and icons, which gave the iPhone a unique look. What I found is that customized themes may look good, but they are not efficient. Most icons end up looking similar, which makes finding icons in a hurry difficult. You sometimes end up clicking on the wrong icons. In the end, its a phone and efficiency is what matters most. The brightly colored stock icons against a solid black background is by far the most efficient because it makes finding what you want quick and easy. Customized themes end up felling cluttered.

The only reason why I'd consider jailbreaking my iPhone again is the free cracked apps. I have 11 pages of apps and spend too much on them. Which is another reason customized icons don't work for me. 11 pages of similar icons would be a headache.

Changing the lock screen looked appealing. But really, how often do you need to look at the weather and calendar before it starts to be annoying. I'm fine with looking at the weather forecast once a week, not each time I turn on the iPhone.

Also, I have a 32gb with about 500mb's of free space. Backing up and restoring a phone with that much data takes too long.

Last edited by a moderator:

beautifulliar

Bronze
Jun 10, 2007
Cracked apps? Please...

Haven't been here long, have you?
I've been here as long as you. I jailbreaked my V1 before the app store was around. I've heard of the cracked apps, but haven't actually used any on a JB iPhone.

If you download a cracked app on a JB iPhone, are you able to download the free updates for the cracked app via iTunes?

Also, how big is the selection of cracked apps? Are most apps from the app store available on cracked app sites?