Proximety sensors

azsprty

Jun 10, 2009
Valley of the Sun
Is this a known issue with a "fix" coming or should I just return to Apple. It just started acting up, dialing numbers while talking, even went to FaceTime. This is the only issue I have so I'd hate to return for a phone with more issues

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
I have discovered that I cannot hold my phone to my ear with my shoulder, all kind of stuff goes whacky! .. Had the face time initiated, hung up on a call .. Didn't have that problem with my other iPhones. Not a deal breaker, just got to avoid holding with my shoulder.

Deke736

Bronze
Jul 24, 2008
Near St. Louis, MO
Apple replaced mine for this same problem. I couldn't make a call without pressing buttons with my face. I wouldn't wait for a fix, if yours is as bad as mine was I recommend takin it in. They even told me that the diagnostic they ran came back clean, but they replaced it for me because, and I quote "you wouldn't have brought it in if there wasn't a problem, so we're going to swap yours and give you a new phone." So far, no problems with my new one.

GSXRMike

Silver
Jun 21, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL
I had my phone replaced for the "yellow picture" problem and the new phones prox sensor seems to be a little more sensitive than my previous phone. Hopefully it's just a fix that can be done via an update.

My proximity sensor constantly fails. I have lost a number of calls and had lots of others emit the beeps of dialing (when I look the keypad is active), some suddenly display the contacts screen, etc. I have resorted to holding the iPhone with a single finger pushing to my ear at the top only, allowing the rest of the phone to sit away from my cheek; and this way I usually don't lose the call from the death grip either. I was waiting for the first update to see if they mention this as an issue that has been fixed.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
What's happening is when you initially put the phone up to your ear, the sensor shuts the screen off but if you move the phone away even just an inch or two from your cheek, it will turn the screen back on. The sensor is not calibrated correctly. Test it in front of a mirror and you will see the screen come back on when you move it away from your face even a tiny bit. The trick is to keep it planted to the side of your head. I don't have problems with the sensor anymore using the method.

barbie

Bronze
Jul 8, 2008
the driver's seat
I've had lots of problems with this and to avoid any problems with my 3G I would just press the lock button to lock the screen if you press the lock button while on a call it hangs up WTF how do you lock the screen while on a call?

Susan in S FL

Jul 12, 2010
I downloaded the iOS4.0.1 last night and haven't had a chance to test it for this...but that was one annoying problem with my old 3G, and it had happened with the iPhone4 a few times already. We'll see if it fixes it. Apple never details the 'fixes' in their updates. It's all so distant and 'magical'. :sneaky:

If it will be in 4.1, it isn't yet fixed in the beta. I'm sending mine back until it is fixed for sure.

[edit] Apple gave me a full credit for the iPhone and the bumper, but I get to keep the bumper. Because I live so far from a store they are sending a FedEx label for me to ship it back. No fees, no problem. All they wanted to know was why, and I told them the proximity issue and inability to reliably make and receive calls at my desk, which I could do with every previous iPhone.

I'm going to have to find something else to use for a while, until this all gets resolved completely, then I'll buy it again.

aknightstale41

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
I've had lots of problems with this and to avoid any problems with my 3G I would just press the lock button to lock the screen if you press the lock button while on a call it hangs up WTF how do you lock the screen while on a call?
If put on speaker the phone will lock, but it dosent seem to lock off speaker.

MomPOM

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NW Burbs of Chicago
I have this problem as well. I've put calls on speaker, mute and hold as well as putting it in keypad mode and pressing numbers during a call. It's a real PITA. So, I'm 3/3 of all the issues. Well, more like 2.5/3 since I have the antenna issue but it doesn't go all the way down and drop a call. But could me in for the proximity and the yellow pictures. I have a genius bar appt. tomorrow night. I'm happy to wait for the 4.1 update to see if it fixes the proximity sensor but I don't think anything is coming for the yellow pictures.

macscac

Bronze
Jun 17, 2009
i cant even make a phone call with my phone anymore unless im using bluetooth.
its gotten so bad that it happened 3 times in the same 11min call a few hours ago