PS Vita

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
marquee-1.png

This puts some serious pressure as the all-in-one kids device.
That price is the full tag, no contract.
The thing is packed with a quad-core processor.
Comes with wifi/3G and Skype is officially supported making it a pseudo-cell phone.
Also has a browser, media player and facebook out of the box.

Here's the link for Skype.
http://blogs.skype.com/en/2011/08/skype_is_everywhere_will_be_av.html

My immediate questions are:
What is VitaOS.
Can it text message.
Wish it was packing more than 512MB of RAM.
Wish it was packing more than just VGA for the front and back cams.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I tried to get into hand helds but it just didn't keep my interest. The Vita looks cool but will it turn out to be like the PSP and have crappy game titles? I'll wait for the iPad 3 w/quad core and hi res display to see how that will affect hand held gaming.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
In the age of $0.99 iPod touch games, who wants to pay $40 Vita games? I'm sure the games are probably awesome and deeper perhaps than a good number of iOS games, but are they worth that premium?

Leo

Zealot
Silver
Nov 9, 2008
Calgary, AB
In the age of $0.99 iPod touch games, who wants to pay $40 Vita games? I'm sure the games are probably awesome and deeper perhaps than a good number of iOS games, but are they worth that premium?
The games are very polished and it's much easier to play with actual tactile buttons. I got myself a PSVita and Rayman Origins, and I have to say...quite amazing.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
The disc games are expensive but I'm expecting their app store to carry the stuff we're use to with mobile. If that does become the case then it's competing head to head with the Touch iPods and with dual duty as a phone at a $250 no contract price, for the kids it might be the best bet.

As for the iPad3 comment, it's clearly not meant compete with that device.

iByron

Bronze
Jan 17, 2011
Houston
yes you can't compare a phone with a dedicated gaming device iPhone is much more than gaming although it does it quite well, but that Uncharted is beautiful and the fact I have tactile buttons is just outstanding. Now the fact that games are 39.99 and up I will stick to my iPhone lmao!

Apple iAddicted

Contributor
Bronze
Feb 20, 2012
I don't think the Vita is going to take disc that's why they added 3G to download your games to a memory stick, the slider PSP was download only but only had WiFi, that's why I didn't buy one then

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
The disc games are expensive but I'm expecting their app store to carry the stuff we're use to with mobile. If that does become the case then it's competing head to head with the Touch iPods and with dual duty as a phone at a $250 no contract price, for the kids it might be the best bet.

As for the iPad3 comment, it's clearly not meant compete with that device.
I do agree with you on tactile buttons.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
Whatever happened to the Sony Experia Play?
The Xperia Play is $500 or free with a contract.
Sony's UI overlay is very heavy making the unit under perform vs another phone with the same CPU/SoC. Net result, not that best game unit despite the dedicated slide out controls.
Sony locks their phones and has an awful history of NOT releasing upgrades for past products.
The dev forums have explicit warnings to NOT use the common methods of rooting an Android and to follow the guidance specifically developed for the Play. Any mistake in the procedure will result in a bricked phone. By comparison all the phones I've used in the past are regarded as un-brickable. Messing up leaves you with a black screen much like DFU mode from which you can rebuild your OS.

Short story, I'd be all in on the iPhone were Sony the primary competitor.

The Vita on the other hand at $250, a good amount of power under the hood and I'm assuming an OS fine tuned for play performance might be worth a closer look.

Personally, I'd sell my Touch to pay for it were it packing 1Gb of RAM and a better camera.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
But wasn't the PSP a dedicated hand held that can also play movies? Title selection was anemic and it seemed like game developers abandoned it.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
It had music, movies, pictures, and a browser if I remember correctly. They could have done much more with the PSP.
It could have been a contender. I was always considering purchasing the PSP but I could never find a game title to convince me. When they ported a good game, I would have already beat the game on the console and exclusive titles weren't very attractive.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
It could have been a contender. I was always considering purchasing the PSP but I could never find a game title to convince me. When they ported a good game, I would have already beat the game on the console and exclusive titles weren't very attractive.
You can't go wrong with a PS3. :)

And by the way, I LOVE PS exclusives. They're so much better than Xbox ones.

God of War, Killzone and Uncharted come to mind.