PS3 Yellow light of death

jerni

Bronze
Oct 2, 2008
GA
www.instagram.com
My PS3 has died. Which it had a good life it was the huge 20gb like first gen. Anyway with the help of iFixit I was going to try and fix it. The logic was we planned on getting another one anyway so if I fixed it great 2 PS3s if not oh well. So I took it apart... Before buying the thermal pads (first problem) but then after a week of it being in a million pieces I lost the motivation to fix it. So here comes the problems... First my husband's favorite game NCAA football '12 is stuck in the drive. That can be replaced. But the bigger problem our downloads and game saves are on the harddrive.

I've read that you can buy the 2.5 inch SATA drive transfer dock (saw it on newegg) to transfer data. Has anyone tried this? Has anyone had this issue? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advanced.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
You can access all the files on the hard drive by connecting it to your computer. Yes, the SATA drive transfer dock would work, or actually just about any SATA cable would work by connecting one end to the hard drive and the other to your computer.

The hard drive inside the PS3 is just a regular 2.5" hard disk like the ones installed in most notebooks (Toshiba, Sony, etc.), so you can easily connect it using SATA to your desktop computer, or buy a SATA to USB adapter so you can connect it to your laptop.

Then you can connect your new PS3's hard drive to your computer and transfer all the data to it.

One problem, though. That would mean you would have to dismantle your brand new PS3 in order to get the hard drive and connect it to your computer, and that would also mean voiding the warranty. I own a Xbox 360, and you can buy an adapter from Microsoft that allows you to connect your computer to your Xbox's hard drive through the Xbox's USB connection without having to dismantle it, so I am not sure if there's one like that for PS3, but I am certain that you can find something if you Google.

Good luck

jerni

Bronze
Oct 2, 2008
GA
www.instagram.com
Thanks for your reply. I realized I already have an enclosure that I could use to house the ps3 drive new problem the harddrive is still in the dismantled ps3, and I have successfuly stripped the blue screw.

My next question once I finally get the drive out couldn't I place it in the enclosure and just plug it into the new ps3 via USB?

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
With the Xbox, you cannot do that unless you want to play a video or view some photos. However, I do not know about PS3. If they let you use a hard drive just by inserting it through USB, then that would be awesome and your problem should be solved.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Hehehe.. it takes time to learn that stuff. I know people who can dismantle Xbox and PS3 consoles and put them back together in about five minutes or less. Where are you buying the new PS3 from? I'd ask them if they would be able to transfer all the data from the old PS3 to the new one without voiding the warranty.

jerni

Bronze
Oct 2, 2008
GA
www.instagram.com
Hehehe.. it takes time to learn that stuff. I know people who can dismantle Xbox and PS3 consoles and put them back together in about five minutes or less. Where are you buying the new PS3 from? I'd ask them if they would be able to transfer all the data from the old PS3 to the new one without voiding the warranty.
I've already bought the PS3 from hhgregg and I wouldn't ask them to do anything with my stuff even they offered that service (even the purchase process was a pain). I still have to figure out how to get the harddrive out of the ps3. The screw head is stripped *ugh

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
I have that exact same problem with my Xbox. I'm trying to dismantle it so I can install firmware on the DVD drive (don't know what happened) but I am unable to because there are six main screws and four of them have stripped heads. It's really a pain.