PSA: Using your nanoSIM in Nexus 4, Galaxy S4, HTC One or..

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by chris, Apr 11, 2013.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

You are going to need a nanoSIM to microSIM adapter. Noosy makes very good quality adapters, that are about $3 on Amazon for a set.

Here's the most important bit of information. Whatever you do, make sure you don't insert the adapter without your nano SIM in it. Your SIM tray will get stuck. There are pins in the phone that expect either an empty tray or SIM. If you have an adapter in the tray, there is no fix.

I've personally wrecked three phones on three different platforms. webOS, Windows Phone, Android. Three phones completely broken by a SIM adapter that did not have the card in it.

On a side note, Google's Play support is awesome. They are replacing my Nexus 4. You might not be so lucky. Consider yourself warned. Don't be like me. Don't destroy your phones.

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

That reminded me of something. I have a plastic nano to micro sim adapter that I recently used. I took the sim out of my 5 and put it in my 4S when I went to a movie screener since they bag and tag cell phones and keep them at the theater entrance. I didn't want to risk losing my 5. Anyway, when I went to remove the sim from the 4S, it wouldn't come out. It was jammed in there and I thought it was going to stay stuck. I worked at it a bit and finally got it, but I'm going to look for a thinner adapter in case I have to use one again. I'll never put that adapter back in the 4S. I've used thin, flimsy, sticky micro to standard adapters before without problems. This one was thicker, not bendable, requires a little piece of double-sided tape and has more potential to get stuck.

This is it. I don't recommend this adapter:
    image.jpg

3. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Wow, see I've had good luck with Noosy. Now I have to rethink my upcoming purchase, since my existing nano to microSIM is getting shipped off to Google with the Nexus 4.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

They look like a quality product, but that scared me. A stuck sim can turn the phone into a brick. Also, I had to shave the adapter down a bit with some fine sandpaper to get it to fit in the sim tray. I ignored that red flag. I'm going to look around for one with a good review.

5. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I ordered another Noosy, but open to picking up another adapter if you find one with good reviews. I looked around, but couldn't find may sim card adapter reviews. The ones that I did were based on price, where cheap equaled good.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I ordered a few (nano to micro, nano to standard, micro to standard) of these right after we talked about it on the 11th. Though I got a PayPal confirmation right after ordering, I haven't heard a word from the company. I'll let you know how they are when they arrive.

7. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

A few days ago, on Mindi's advice, I picked up a proper microsim at AT&T for my HTC One. Gonna pop it in in a few and activate it.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

9. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

10. JackRouach

JackRouach Member
    Bronze

Question I wanted to pre order the galaxy s4 I wanted the 64gb of internal memory but all I see on AT&T is 16gb of memory. I know u can put a 64gb memory card but is there a s4 with 64 internal?

Sent using iCafe app

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

AT&T is only showing 16 right now, but other sources say it will be available in 32 and 64 as well. However, some carriers might only offer the 16. It's a possibily that they won't offer the 64 at all in the US.

12. JackRouach

JackRouach Member
    Bronze

Ooh I just wait I don't think it going to sell out like iPhones

Sent using iCafe app

13. JackRouach

JackRouach Member
    Bronze

Thanks for the quick reply

Sent using iCafe app

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You're welcome. I just edited my post a bit to add to it.

15. JackRouach

JackRouach Member
    Bronze

Another stupid question. Does its make a difference between having 64gb built in internally or having a 16gb internal with a 64gb memory card. Basically is there a difference between having it internally or not? Besides having to spend $ on the chip

Sent using iCafe app

16. JackRouach

JackRouach Member
    Bronze

Sorry for bad grammar english is not my first langauge

Sent using iCafe app

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It works the same for media, but I've heard you can't install apps on the card. There may be ways around that though. I'm not 100% certain you can't do that, so hopefully someone with an Android phone will chime in and verify this.

18. JackRouach

JackRouach Member
    Bronze

yes I don't think you can install apps onto a sd card

Sent using iCafe app

19. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator