"Public" Jailbreak Imminent

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by Napoleon PhoneApart, Oct 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

2. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Would this be a record time for a public jailbreak release for a new iOS/device release? I for one thought it would be several more months, if ever.

3. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

This was a quick one, to be sure.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's not a record, but it's the fastest one we've seen since the iPhone 4. The first few iPhones only took a couple weeks, but the past few have taken several months. It's pretty nice to see that trend change. I can't wait to get my 6 jailbroken! (y)

5. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

...the one main option I would like Apple to offer is no 'block' around the main icons at the bottom of the screen.
    This would make wallpapers fit and look so much nice. Is that too much to ask?

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I use DockShift (jailbreak tweak) to make the dock transparent. The docks were pretty nice on iOS 6 and earlier, but I really dislike what Apple has done to it on iOS 7 and 8.

7. efuseakay

efuseakay Contributor
    Silver

And 8.1.1 will be released on Monday. lol

Can't wait for this! Hopefully tomorrow! (Friday) Then I can ignore all the trick or treaters and play with my phone instead. :D

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

If you remember back in 2009, the Dev Team was holding out on launching a working 3.0 jailbreak they had because of a new signing structure Apple implemented that year. They said the needs of the many outweighed the needs of the few. We would have waited months, but Geohot swooped in and launched his own jailbreak (purplera1n) because he thought that was BS. He was right - it made no difference in the long run, so why make people wait? We had plenty of new jailbreaks come out that year after Apple patched the exploits. It's always been this way. There is always another firmware around the corner, whether it be scheduled or pushed to break the jailbreak. No pointing on holding out. The hackers will find new exploits. Kudos for the Chinese for not making us wait and for breaking the four-month trend. It's kinda hard to be an advocate for jailbreaking when the damned thing is only available for half the year.

Here's a quote from Geohot in 2009.
    "Normally I don’t make tools for the general public, and rather wait for the dev team to do it. But guys, whats up with waiting until 3.1? That isn’t how the game is played. We release, Apple fixes, we find new holes. It isn’t worth waiting because you might have the “last” hole in the iPhone. What last hole…this isn’t golf. I’ll find a new one next week..." -Geohot 2009.

9. efuseakay

efuseakay Contributor
    Silver

I definitely remember that one. Wasn't that the Jailbreak via a website he set up? That was the best ever. :)

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No, that was jailbreakme.com the following year for the iPhone 4. I loved that one. Slide to jailbreak! (y)

11. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

iOS 8 has a lot of the things I looked for on a jailbreak, but I can't wait to install I file and fakeclockup:D

12. efuseakay

efuseakay Contributor
    Silver

Oh yeah. That was the besterest!

But Pangu is great too. :)

13. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Another development I'm looking for is a better implementation of reachability by the jailbreak devs

14. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

FakeClockUp works pretty well on iOS 8.1. iFile has been updated and is compatible. Purchases are still disabled on Cydia for now.

15. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

AHHHH I can't wait...but I would assume a Mac version won't be released. If not, then @Napoleon PhoneApart I'll need a step by step guide from you over the phone, i do better hearing directions!

16. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Not me. When Pangu removes the child-proof cap and allows you to jailbreak, you're on your own.

17. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I mean if a Mac version isn't released, I'll need your phone support to use parallels. I have a feeling you'll help a brotha out.

18. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I ain't your "brotha." I learned about this stuff by researching (Google) and trial and error. This'll be a good experience for you. :) There's no satisfaction like that gained by your own work.

19. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Shucks...well if something happens and I don't show back up here for a while, well I'll be stuck in a tunnel. IDK haha I just made that up on the spot. :p

20. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.