Pulling contacts off an iPhone

sau99rb

Mar 22, 2008
Hi,

My old macbook gave it up last week, and is inoperable. I now have a nice new macbook pro, but have no way of syncing my contacts and info across from my old machine.

My iPhone has all the contacts on it, but I can't find a way of 'ripping' them off of it. Can anyone help?

Also, I am using a non-jailbroken iPhone; just in case that changes things.

Many Thanks

Sau

iPhidibus

Mar 8, 2008
When you sync, it should pull your contacts from your phone to the computer. Be sure to look at the Advanced section of the Info tab in iTunes and make sure the "replace info on this phone - Contacts" is not selected.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
That's the way to do it. It will also transfer over Calendar Events, Mail Accounts, etc.

- John

epik89

Mar 22, 2008
where exactly does the iTunes sync the contacts to

because i want to do a fullrestore

but im not sure how i would save my contacts

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
I bought iPhonedrive software to pull info off iPhone onto my new mac. Really easy.

iPhidibus

Mar 8, 2008
where exactly does the iTunes sync the contacts to

because i want to do a fullrestore

but im not sure how i would save my contacts

Do you have a PC or MAC? Look at the info page in iTunes and see where you have it configured to sync your contacts.

epik89

Mar 22, 2008
I have a PC

and it says it's synced to windows address book
i have no clue how it works

iPhidibus

Mar 8, 2008
I have a PC

and it says it's synced to windows address book
i have no clue how it works
Make sure you sync before you restore. Then after your restore, you sync again and it will put your contacts back on your phone from the windows address book. I don't think the address book will preserve your calendar items, but I'm not sure.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Windows Mail does have a calendar feature, but I can't promise it will sync those appointments either. I avoided that problem by going with Outlook 2007.

iPhidibus

Mar 8, 2008
You can view Windows Address Book data by running wab.exe /a. See this article for more info. If you open a Windows address book, it doesn't contain calendar items. What I've been able to find online is that Outlook is the only Microsoft Mail program that offers a calendar.

Vista does have Microsoft Contacts and Microsoft Calendars, but since I don't have Vista, I don't know how that shows up in iTunes as options.