Purchased albums from iTunes should have lyrics!

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Why do the albums I buy from iTunes not come with lyrics? To me this is something I get when I buy a cd at the store so shouldnt it be included when I buy it from iTunes? I would love it if it were in the ID3 tags so I didn't have to go and manually download the lyrics to add to all my songs!

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
that is an excellent point - i agree. i like having the lyrics for my music, especially since they're so easy to view on the iPhone/ipod touch.

i have found a nice work-around - if you're on a mac, try the gimmesometune software (it's donationware - i'm not affiliated with them at all) - it will fetch lyrics and artwork for your iTunes music...

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Good find for Mac macgirl. Im still on a PC and found a lyric grabber that works with iTunes also. Its a google code called iLyrics and it works pretty well. I would just love to have the lyrics right from the download so I don't even need to worry about using iLyrics.
I mean I have the ability to download songs right to my phone from iTunes (which I use pretty often), wouldn't it be nice if I didn't need to sync the phone two more times to get lyrics on there? (Once to get the purchase onto the PC, then again to get the lyrics back onto the iPhone.)

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
It's not iTunes, becuse they can't legally do it... apparently you do not have the right to have lyrics even though you bought the music.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
It's not iTunes, becuse they can't legally do it... apparently you do not have the right to have lyrics even though you bought the music.
If the lyrics are provided when you purchase the cd in the store, shouldnt that allow anyone to have those lyrics if you "purchase" the album? I mean its not like Im downloading the cd illegally.
I cant imagine that it would be a "rights" issue. I mean the artist give iTunes and Apple permission to distribute the music, album art and like dturner said even the lame digital booklet. Why not lyrics too?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
logically, you would think so, but legally it just doesn't work like that. It's the same situation as sheet music. It's one more way the big labels are trying to squeeze money out of people... not that anyone is going out to purchase lyrics or sheet music...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Isn't that why the Tunewiki app has to say for legal reasons that only deaf people should use it? lol... always cracked me up...

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
hippo, I still don't get why it would be a legal issue. I am PURCHASING the album usually at the same price as the actual CD, by all rights shouldnt I get anything that comes with the album in store, and that usually includes the liner notes with lyrics. I would think that if artists and record labels can give Apple permission to sell their songs, that would also include everything the CD has included.

The sheet music point doesn't quite compare IMO. I mean when I buy a CD instore, it never comes with sheet music. But most of the time it does have lyrics (not all the time of course). I would have to go to the music store and get the book to get the music.

I would think this would compare to something like album art. iTunes provides me with album art which is included with an instore purchase. iTunes does a good job of keeping the ID3 tags very uniform and complete. To me, if this is a matter of legal rights, I would think it wouldn't pertain since it is being legally purchased.

And to psylicon, when using TuneWiki you are sharing lyrics with other users. Some of those songs Im sure you didn't purchase. So that would make sense that there is a legal disclaimer. Just my thoughts.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I don't agree with them either, and, in fact, don't quite understand the legislation... but i do know that this is the reality of the situation.

i may be wrong, but the lyrics are a different kind of intellectual property (just like sheet music), and are separate from the recorded material. The fact that some albums come with them in the liner notes doesn't seem to be relevant... who knows why...

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Yeah, I think you are right though, its all about the money.
I emailed Apple about it and they mentioned the digital booklet, but that doesn't put the lyrics in your ID3 tags. So they recommended I submit feedback to the iTunes feedback page, which I did. Not sure they respond though.
Kinda sucks IMO, makes me want to head to the store to buy my CDs, but then again, if I do that I will still have to put the lyrics into the ID3 tags...damnit! Screwed either way!

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Windows, I want a mac so fricken bad though.

Ive been using a program called iLyrics but it doesn't work on any of the AAC files I download right from iTunes. It works on all my mp3 files I already had in my library, but not on my new music.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i used a program I got from GoogleCode that worked like a charm for me... I thought it was iLyrics... I'll try to fnd a link...

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
this is weird.. so let me get this straight, you buy the album at the store and you get the lyrics, but you buy a digital copy but you get no lyrics?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
well, technically no. If you buy the album in the store, the lyrics may or may not be in it... and even if they are, they won't be imported to iTunes with the songs... you just happen to have a hard-copy of them (sometimes).

and like dturner mentioned, some iTunes albums come with digital booklets.

i'm not sure if there's an official position (there may or may not be precedents set), but i don't think we technically have the right to import lyrics to a song even if we have legally purchased it (digitally OR physically).

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
I sent Apple feedback and emails about this. They said the digital booklets are all we get in terms of lyrics at this time. However, the CSR stated that it is a good idea to have the lyrics included in the ID3 tags, and I should submit the feedback so they might add that feature to iTunes.
She didn't mention anything about legal issues. But then again, she probably wouldn't know anyway.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i know this is a common complaint, and when discussing why iTunes doesn't have a lyrics database-lookup for imported music (like it does for cover art), the reason has always been legal issues... i assume it's the same reason for downloaded content.