Purchased apps not working anymore?

ldivinag

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
N37 33* W122 3*
i can launch them. but their screen will be shown for a second or 2, then stop working. it returns me back to the iPhone home screen.

i manually rebooted. i did a RESET ALL SETTINGS.

still no workie... :(

what's next? do a complete reboot with restore from scratch?

sigh...

HELP!.......

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
First of all it seems that on the 3G your best bet is to download app through iTunes only,not with the phone. This produces less crashes for some reason.
What I would do is delete the apps and reload from iTunes. You won't be charged a second time on any paid ones.

ldivinag

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
N37 33* W122 3*
sigh...

well, i tried to sync using my home machine. i transfered 99% of the stuff from work machine.

i just lost everything (apps, music, etc).

i thought SYNC mean sync... maybe Apple means SINK. like the titanic...

DRM blows...

Captricky

Aug 2, 2007
sigh...

well, i tried to sync using my home machine. i transfered 99% of the stuff from work machine.

i just lost everything (apps, music, etc).

i thought SYNC mean sync... maybe Apple means SINK. like the titanic...

DRM blows...
I had the exact same question/problem so I made the appointment and went to the Apple store. According to the "genius" at the Apple store, when talking Apps the word SYNC is not two way. If you are synced with your computer then go out into the world and download an app directly to your phone, the next time you sync with your computer iTunes will delete the newly downloaded app from the phone (iTunes doesn't know you even own it yet). Even if you transfer the app to your computer using iTunes you will need to re-install the app to the phone via iTunes and then endure the wait for the automatic backup of the entire phone by iTunes.

This whole sync thing with the iPhone is very frustrating. Even Apple employees can't offer an explanation as to why many iPhone "features" are designed to operate the way they do. I find it very frustrating that I can't sync my phone at home, go on the road with my laptop and keep it synced without deleting all the media, apps, etc.. I just gave up and never sync it with anything but my laptop.

Iceblinkluck

Bronze
Mar 30, 2007
Long Island NY
I have a v1. If I download apps to the phone, when I sync, the apps show up on my mac. Perhaps it is the v1 and mac that make the difference, but I don't see how.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I have a v1. If I download apps to the phone, when I sync, the apps show up on my mac. Perhaps it is the v1 and mac that make the difference, but I don't see how.
Same all around. I too don't see how a mac would make the difference. All I know is that it seems on the 3G at least it is better to download through iTunes and not the phone. This seems to cut down on the crashing issue.

kevroc

Bronze
Jul 16, 2008
I d/l on my iPhone all the time, way more then on the pc, never had a problem. I do regularly "transfer purchased" whatever when I sync the phone. After the syncing is done you right click on the iPhone in the list and select the "transfer whatever" option. Then you'll see it copy over the apps to your computer. When browsing my Apple folder on my pc I've noticed mutilple versions of apps, appended with a "1" or "2" etc. Don't know if that's versioning or what, but some of these apps are quite large and take up some space. Just found it interesting...

Also, I tracked down my "backup" folder and made a copy of it so if anything happens to my backup through iTunes I know I can just copy that folder back in and do a restore. Could probably do the same thing with the applications folder.

iTunes it pretty good about managing everything, but a few backups of some important folders (likes apps and the backup folder) should help a lot so you don't have to start from scratch...that would be a pain.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
When browsing my Apple folder on my pc I've noticed mutilple versions of apps, appended with a "1" or "2" etc. Don't know if that's versioning or what, but some of these apps are quite large and take up some space. Just found it interesting...
When an app has an "update", you are actually downloading the whole app again, not just an update. You can delete all previous versions of the app and free up lots of space.

mashnost

Aug 20, 2008
I've been having the same problem. I tried all that stuff that you tried. Here is the only thing that works for me. I delete all downloaded apps from the phone, then I re-download them. YOU HAVE TO DELETE ALL OF THEM! It's horrible if you have a lot of apps or if, like me, you have apps that track things like nutrition where I have to go back and input all my information. Hope this helps. I keep a list of all the apps that I downloaded so I can go into the App Store and do a quick search and download.

jpm

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
The app store has been kinda funky the last few days but all my apps have worked. I have a V1 and using XP and never had a problem with DL an app from the store or PC.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
The app store has been kinda funky the last few days but all my apps have worked. I have a V1 and using XP and never had a problem with DL an app from the store or PC.
Are you on 2.0.2? This is really strange because it seems to be mostly the 3G that is having the problem downloading from the phone, but I wonder if everyone is on the same update?
I too have the V1 and download mostly from the phone. Never had the problems scattered on this forum.

jpm

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
Are you on 2.0.2? This is really strange because it seems to be mostly the 3G that is having the problem downloading from the phone, but I wonder if everyone is on the same update?
I too have the V1 and download mostly from the phone. Never had the problems scattered on this forum.
Yup, 2.0.2 also.

marvi1

Aug 19, 2008
I just got the 3G for my daughter, and she is having the exact same problem. Apps install, but when she runs them, they just crash. I really hate iTunes.

skipray

Aug 12, 2008
Almost all mine quit too.

I guess I'll delete from the phone and resync.

Dallas Phil

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Well according to Apple support, the next iPhone software update will address the issue of apps crashing. I am sick of the crashes too. When I have an app crash it completely crashes my iPhone and I end up having to do a backup restore.

marvi1

Aug 19, 2008
I'll still hate iTunes, even if/when they fix this problem. Any estimate on when the next update will be out?

acdana

Sep 8, 2008
Weird work around

Looks like it might very well be tomorrow(9/9).:)
This has happened to me several times now. One thing i noticed the last two times is that my music disappears from my iPhone as well as the problem with the app crashes. Nothing shows up on the iPhone but when I connect to my computer to sync it thinks the music is still there.

How I got it work this time without uninstalling/reinstalling/restoring.

Go to the iTunes store on your iPhone and buy a song (you can get the free download of the week). Now sync again with computer. Not only do my songs show up, but my apps all stop crashing. Weird.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Go to the iTunes store on your iPhone and buy a song (you can get the free download of the week). Now sync again with computer. Not only do my songs show up, but my apps all stop crashing. Weird.
I think someone else did this by downloading a free app.
This is the strangest damn thing I have ever heard of.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
This has happened to me several times now. One thing i noticed the last two times is that my music disappears from my iPhone as well as the problem with the app crashes. Nothing shows up on the iPhone but when I connect to my computer to sync it thinks the music is still there.

How I got it work this time without uninstalling/reinstalling/restoring.

Didn't work for me. My music/video vanished, my apps are all crashing (except the stock apps), and no amount of synching will bring them back. My restore-from-backup didn't work--said it couldn't restore dud to corrupt backup/backup is from a backup not compatible with my iPhone. W-T-F?!