Purchased iPhone 4S on Craigslist, just found out the IMEI is blocked

Discussion in 'iPhone 4S' started by radack1155, Sep 25, 2012.

1. radack1155

radack1155 Member
    Bronze

I purchased a 4S on CL today for my mom, I get home and put my SIM into it to test it. Low and behold, the IMEI was blocked. My line got temporarily shut down, my SIM wouldn't even work in my phone. Couldn't call/ text or use the internet. I had to chat with AT&T to get everything worked back out.

So now I'm stuck with a blocked 4S, and out $270. How should I handle this? I'm going to take it to the AT&T store tomorrow to see what they say, but I was curious to hear from you guys.

Thanks.

2. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

^^^ Just want to mention you have good taste in baseball teams. #SFGiants

3. radack1155

radack1155 Member
    Bronze

World series bound!

4. Jaz0305

Jaz0305 Member
    Bronze

Didn't you check the phone w SIM card if it is working or not ?

5. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Always do your exchanges near the carrier office so you can check the IMEI before completing the trade. I sell this way too so that we're all clear that it was good before the exchange.

6. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I doubt AT&T will do anything.. Call the police and give them all the info you have on the seller (text messages, email, phone call logs) and go from there..

Unfortunately, this happens a lot.. Always meet at carrier store and have them check the phone before paying.. If someone does not want to meet at carrier store then a major red flag should go up..

Good luck!