Purchased iPhone 5c that is password protected

Discussion in 'iPhone 5C' started by dankduke, Mar 28, 2014.

1. dankduke

dankduke Member
    Bronze

I made a rookie mistake and wanted to know if this could be a solution? I bought a phone from a guy who said he was going to remove the iCloud block on his phone with his password. He was a friend and ended up not doing it and also not responding to any of my messages and contacts.,..its been 2 weeks now and i have no cell phone...i know I'm the dummy here but I'm trying to find a solution.

The phone is an iPhone 5c 16gb....can i drop this in water bring to an Apple and get a refurb...i know that ill have to pay a water fee etc but i'll pay $200 if i can get one...

Any idea on what to do?

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

This sounds a bit odd. But in any event, here's your answer.

Go to your friends house and either:
    1. Get your money back and give him his phone back
    2. Have him remove the block and restore the iPhone
    That's it. The password is in place to remove any incentive for people stealing iPhones. It renders the iPhone completely useless.

3. dankduke

dankduke Member
    Bronze

Ya your telling me
    Problem is my home town is in Massachusetts where I'm from and I love in Florida so it's not like I can just hop in a car

This is serious I'm already out hundreds and just want a working phone for work on Monday

Can I damage via water and bring in. The IMEI is clean on it if that helps

4. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

That sounds like a really bad idea. For one, you aren't the owner (according to Apple), so the iPhone 5c you have in your possession is not under any sort of warranty.

Not sure what you paid, but I'd consider the money lost and you'll need to buy a phone from Apple, eBay or even Craigslist.

5. dankduke

dankduke Member
    Bronze

why is it a really bad idea...how does Apple genius bar know if im the original owner?

its still considered under warranty underneath the iPhone IMEI checker tool online....it shows to be under warranty.

why couldnt i just drop it in water, its still under "Apple care" and then buy a refurb from them for $200

is this possible?

6. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

You are effectively saying that you are going to bypass the iCloud password protection by dropping the iPhone in water. If that worked, people who steal iPhones could do the same. You are not the owner, so you are not entitled to warranty service or replacement.

Your options remain the same:
    Go see your friend and resolve it or chalk it up as a lesson learned.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You haven't activated this phone and it's password-protected. What proof can you provide for Apple showing that it isn't stolen? It would look very suspicious to them. They will not replace a phone that isn't tied to your account.

8. dankduke

dankduke Member
    Bronze

My point remains the same

Will they replace as there is a warranty still on the phone

9. ricks2gtouch

ricks2gtouch Zealot
    Silver

If this person is a friend, don't you have common friends? You could get a message to him through someone else to try to get it resolved.

10. ricks2gtouch

ricks2gtouch Zealot
    Silver

Ummm… I think your question was answered a couple of times.

11. dankduke

dankduke Member
    Bronze

As you can see he's not a good friend and just a guy i went to college with

I have tried for two weeks getting a hold of him

FB, email call etc

12. ricks2gtouch

ricks2gtouch Zealot
    Silver

I'd have called the law by now.

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You aren't reading our posts. No. They will not replace it. It hasn't been activated and tied to your account and you can't gain access to it because of the owner's password. It has all the red flags of a stolen phone. They will not help you.

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Did he give/sell you a stolen phone? If so, it's as useful as a paperweight. There is no way to bypass the anti-theft security on 5c/5s. You might as well return it to Apple so they can try to locate the owner.

15. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

You can try going to an Apple Store and telling them the truth. At this point it's your only chance (and a very slim one) to get some relief. Legal proceedings are another option but that's a long slog with no guarantees. Once the police are involved it might motivate the seller to give you back your money.

Most likely you will end up writing this off as an expensive lesson.

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Nope. Apple doesn't help people who are in possession of stolen iPhones. No exceptions. The security is in place for a reason. They have certain criteria in place for replacements. This helps deter thieves. If you read all the posts critically, you can tell he knew it was stolen and that it's not really his friend's phone. He or his friend found or stole it. This "friend" would have restored it if he could have. No one "buying" a legit phone would accept a phone that he knew had Find My iPhone enabled. The police won't help him, either. They have better things to do than help people get replacements or reimbursement for their stolen goods.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  17. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

Upon second reading and after some coffee, yeah, you're right. Just some scammer looking to circumvent anti-theft security. :eek:

18. luislahud

luislahud Member
    Bronze

The only thing left for you to do I think is to sale it for parts so you can get some of the money you already lost.Good luck.

19. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

Not sure if selling a stolen phone for parts is the answer either. It's better to chalk it up to a loss like someone else mentioned and take it to an Apple store and turn it in. The original owner will be ecstatic to have the phone back and he can score some positive karma in return.

20. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

A true Apple fan would simply do the right thing. We're a community. A scammer/thief would not be so true to the culture.