Purchased songs will not sync to iPhone 5s

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by Dave2015, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Dave2015

Dave2015 New Member

I've been struggling with iTunes problems for years. This has to be one of the most annoying non-Windows software aggravations on the planet. But I am still able to get most of my CD collection imported into iTunes and onto my IPhone 5s. The problem i'm having now is that i've purchased a total of 170 songs through iTunes. I can see that in the Purchased playlist in iTunes. I'm using iTunes 11.1.1 on a MacBook Air. I'm syncing to an iPhone 5s. When I look at music on my iPhone I only see 124 songs in the "Purchased" playlist. What's up with that? The missing songs are no longer present in the playlists I built for them. I see them just fine on my MacBook but they will not show up on my iPhone 5s. This problem only began a few days ago. Up until then the songs were syncing just fine.

I have thousands of songs in my library. I mostly by CDs on Amazon because iTunes is such an unreliable product and only offers low-quality compressed music files. Like I said i've only purchased 170 songs in iTunes so far and 124 of them are working as expected. 46 are not.

I was getting ready to buy a huge amount of new music - probably a stack of CDs - and was actually considering using iTunes to just get the songs I like most. I'm glad I got this lesson before and not after. I'm not going to make that mistake. Everytime I start to trust iTunes it does something like this to remind of what it really is.

I do not use the cloud thing because I honestly do not understand the reason for it. I'm not using iTunes match either for the same reason.

Any ideas as to how to get all of my purchased songs onto my iPhone 5s?

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Make sure the boxes next to all of the purchased music are checked. If they already are, unsync all of your music and then sync it back on.

3. Dave2015

Dave2015 New Member

when I look at the playlists in iTunes on my Mac the checkboxes beside the songs are all checked i'm assuming that's what you're talking about. I double-checked all the boxes are checked.

not sure I understand what you mean by "unsync" all your music. I unchecked the Purchased playlist and syncd. then I re-checked it and re-syncd. I now have 131 songs! We made progress.

one interesting thing to note: I created a playlist of my own that I called "Purchased Music". I took all the songs in the iTunes playlist called Purchased (170 songs) and added them to the playlist. On my Mac it has 170 songs. On my iPhone it has 124 songs. If I leave that playlist checked but uncheck the iTunes Purchased playlist the total bytes of audio on my iPhone drops by almost a GB. It should not change at all since both playlists are identical - removing one and not the other should have zero effect on the total size of music.

It normally only takes about 10 to 15 minutes to sync my iPhone (longer when i've added new music) but this time it took longer - it did copy music to the phone but only 7 songs missing from the Purchased playlist. It does not take more than one second max to copy 7 songs. Something else was happening. So now I have 131 songs in my Purchased playlist on my iPhone. It is still missing 39 songs.

Something really strange is going on here. Ideas anyone?

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Remove (unsync) all of your music from the phone through iTunes. Then sync it all back on.

image.jpg

5. Dave2015

Dave2015 New Member

I did it. Several hours later it finished copying all 32GB of music back onto the phone including only 131 songs in the Purchased folder. I've found many similar threads out there with no solutions to any of them. This sounds to me like a bug in the Apple code that tries to prevent people from copying songs to more than 2 devices. In my case it will not let me copy the songs to a second device. I have never synced my iPhone with any machine other than this MacBook Air. I do not know what could cause iTunes to think i've copied this music to any other machines except maybe the fact that I recently purchased a USB hard drive that I used to backup all my files. I did not copy anything out of iTunes Media. I have copied songs from iTunes directly onto a USB Flash drive as a backup but as far as I can remember none of the files giving me this problem were ever part of that. Every song i've ever purchased in iTunes was done on my Mac and all of these songs were on my iPhone until last week when I unchecked a box in iTunes - Automatic Downloads for Music. When these songs vanished from my iPhone the next day I thought that may have something to do with it so I re-checked it. Nothing changed. On my iPhone - Settings for iTunes & App Store ... Show All Music is on - iTunes Match is off - Automatic Downloads is ON for music and apps and Use Cellular data is ON. Settings for Music on iPhone has Show All Music turned ON and iTunes Match is OFF.
    Out of curiosity - if I were to get an Android phone instead - get rid of this iPhone POC - is managing music any better on them or is it as big of a pain as iTunes? I've had nothing but problems and aggravations with iTunes. Surely there's got to be something out there that actually works. It cannot be that complicated to copy music files from one device to another.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

On your iPhone, go to the iTunes app > More > Purchased > Music > Not On This Phone.

The missing songs should have a cloud download logo next to them if you are logged into the same iTunes account they were purchased under. They will show up on the phone when you download them here.

7. Dave2015

Dave2015 New Member

I apologize for my ignorance. I didn't know there was an "iTunes App" for my iPhone. There wasn't one on it when I got it. It has an App Store app, a Music app and I went and got a Podcast app for it - all from Apple. I went into the App Store and looked for an app called "iTunes" and there doesn't seem to be one - at least not that I could find.

I went into the App Store app and I see nothing in there but apps - no music of any kind - that's definitely not what you meant.

I went into my Music app - when I click on more all I get is Composers, Compilations, Albums and Artists - I do not see the songs i'm looking for in any of the lists that I normally would use: Songs and Playlists. I do not see anything in there called Purchased except for the playlist - there are 131 songs listed there - it does not include the 39 missing songs. The only thing that has "Not on this Phone" inside it I can find is the App Store app which only lists apps - no music.

Sorry but I cannot find what you're pointing me to.

8. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Do you see this app?

image.jpg

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's a stock app that is preinstalled on all iPhones. It's called iTunes Store.

image.jpg

10. Dave2015

Dave2015 New Member

I found it (on page 2 of a folder).

When I go to Not on This iPhone I get a list of:
    Recent Purchases 11
    All Songs 11

I click those and it gives me a list of songs that have a cloud next to them. I have no idea what these songs are. They are not songs i've ever purchased. I do not recognize them.

I went to Settings .. iTunes & App Store .. it has my Apple ID. I did not have to change anything it was correct.

Then when I went back to the iTunes Store app the the list of strange songs is empty. Now nothing is shown in the list that says Not on this iPhone.

There is definitely something really strange going on with this iPhone and iTunes.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Scroll to the bottom of the page in the iTunes Store app on your phone, click on your Apple ID, select Sign Out and then log back in. Check the Purchased list again again after logging back in. If this does not work, please let me know if you have you ever changed Apple IDs.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  12. Dave2015

Dave2015 New Member

I found a work-around. If I place the missing songs in a Smart Playlist it copies them to my iPhone. If the songs are not in a Smart Playlist it will not copy them to my iPhone.

FYI - i've never used any other Apple ID.

Thanks for the help. This is apparently some very strange bug with no logical explanation but fortunately a workaround.