Purchasing a Mac. Have questions

blueduke

Apr 1, 2009
I'm sick of pc problems and I'm going to purchase a Macbook. Have some questions I hope some can answer:

1. What's the differences in a Mac and pc? I've never used a Mac in my life and I'm wondering if it will be hard to get accustomed to

2. Are there any threads here or anywhere else that addresses keyboard shortcuts?

3. Can I somehow integrate MS Office applications? Are Apple's word processing, spreadsheets, etc compatible? What I mean is can my MS Office files run on a Mac?

4. As far as networking goes I plan to integrate the Mac into my wireless network at home. Is this a simple task or a pain in the rear?

Thanks in advance

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
I'm sick of pc problems and I'm going to purchase a Macbook. Have some questions I hope some can answer:

1. What's the differences in a Mac and pc? I've never used a Mac in my life and I'm wondering if it will be hard to get accustomed to

2. Are there any threads here or anywhere else that addresses keyboard shortcuts?

3. Can I somehow integrate MS Office applications? Are Apple's word processing, spreadsheets, etc compatible? What I mean is can my MS Office files run on a Mac?

4. As far as networking goes I plan to integrate the Mac into my wireless network at home. Is this a simple task or a pain in the rear?

Thanks in advance
Here you go.

1. The main difference is obviously, the operating system. Macs are extremely intuitive and user-friendly, so getting used to it should not be a problem.

2. You can find shortcuts in different places. I think Apple Support online has a list of shortcuts.

3. You can buy Office for Mac, but Word documents are also compatible with Apple's version. Just know that Apple's version does not come installed on the computer.

4. Setting up a mac on a wi-fi network is the easiest thing ever. They just "know."

Hope this helps! People might have more to add.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Here is a thread that has some keyboard shortcuts listed within it, quite helpful.

Shortcuts

Last edited by a moderator:

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
I made the switch and I'm glad I did. The new unibodies are incredible. Like flwpwr said when you turn it on everything just works.

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
I made the switch also and will never go back. To go more in depth on your MS office question: All the filetypes are compatible and yes you can buy MS Office for Mac. It is however a little different. I have no problem with MS Word, excel on the other hand I have problems working on. I've always had problems on windows too though, I hate excel. Powerpoint I've never used. I have the Apple version of all that software too, iWork 09. To me it's just not as good. I use the word processor though because it has a full screen mode which is good for when I have to bang out papers quickly. I have no attention span.

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
i made the switch at Christmas and am i glad i did . One thing i would suggest is upgrading the ram. I bought the 2.4 macbook and upgraded it to 4gb of ram . It cost $150 at the time i purchased it if you wait and decide later you want it its going to cost you $300 .

Another thing you can do install and run your windows on your mac if that would be more practical for your office issues You just use bootcamp in your applications on your mac to install

Feb 10, 2009
I finally broke down and bought a MacBook too. I haven't even wanted to turn my PC on again! You will love it, it's so simple! Worth every dime!