purchasing iPhone at AT&T store

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

goblues38

Bronze
Sep 7, 2007
That's where I got mine. Simply because i wanted to verify contract commitments and such. They gave me a box and a receipt. I went home and was on in a few.

Very smooth process.

FWIW, I was an existing AT&T customer with 18months left on my contract. Just had to add 6 months to it to make it 24.

Couldnt be happier. As long as you understand what theiPhone does now....and are happy with that. meaning you are gonna be upset if x-upgrade isn't done.

You will be fine.

the iPhone is agreat mid grade phone.

Somewhere between a RAZOR and a full blown PDA SMART PHONE.

i am happy, this board is great, you just have to look past the whinning Apple zelots who think the rules of common businesss don't apply to them.

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
That's where I got mine. Simply because i wanted to verify contract commitments and such. They gave me a box and a receipt. I went home and was on in a few.

Very smooth process.

FWIW, I was an existing AT&T customer with 18months left on my contract. Just had to add 6 months to it to make it 24.

Couldnt be happier. As long as you understand what theiPhone does now....and are happy with that. meaning you are gonna be upset if x-upgrade isn't done.

You will be fine.

the iPhone is agreat mid grade phone.

Somewhere between a RAZOR and a full blown PDA SMART PHONE.

i am happy, this board is great, you just have to look past the whinning Apple zelots who think the rules of common businesss don't apply to them.
just wanted to agree with this guy, so yeah :D

i also got mine at the AT&T store but that was because my mom/sister wanted to get new phones aswell. also it's just a lot easier to get your account straight like he said.

also there are probably WAY more AT&T stores than Apple stores near you(depending where you live), thus conveince becomes #1 :D

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
No haggle pricing.

I bought my wife's and my iPhones at an AT&T store and the best part was watching the salespeople. Cellphone salespeople are the used car salesmen of the tech world and buying an iPhone is like to going to a car lot with No Haggle Pricing. They seemed less interested in pretending they were my very best long lost friend and just wanted to ring it up and move along to the guy that they were going to be able to schmooze into buying plans he didn't need or want (as opposed to the phones that I didn't need but wanted). ;)

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
I bought my wife's and my iPhones at an AT&T store and the best part was watching the salespeople. Cellphone salespeople are the used car salesmen of the tech world and buying an iPhone is like to going to a car lot with No Haggle Pricing. They seemed less interested in pretending they were my very best long lost friend and just wanted to ring it up and move along to the guy that they were going to be able to schmooze into buying plans he didn't need or want (as opposed to the phones that I didn't need but wanted). ;)
LoL..:p

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
Anyone know of any downside to getting my iPhone at an ATT store?
I'd say the only downside if any is that maybe workers at the att store would not be able to answer many of your questions about the iPhone like they would at the Apple store, that is if you have many questions. Most of the people that work at the closest att store to me know jack squat about the iPhone, or pretend not to anyways.

Good Luck!

:p

goinverted

Sep 17, 2007
First off, IndyJones, Auburn played a great game last week! Way to stick it to them gators!

Do you have to renew your contract if you purchase an iPhone from the att store? I was under the impression that you didn't. How about if you by it from an Apple store?

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Do you have to renew your contract if you purchase an iPhone from the att store? I was under the impression that you didn't. How about if you by it from an Apple store?
you don't do anything contract-related if you buy the iPhone at an AT&T store or an Apple store - all that happens when you plug it into iTunes when you get home to activate and choose your plan.

there's really no difference in where you buy it, unless the Apple stores have any of those cool iPhone bags left, anyway (the AT&T stores put the iPhones in these ugly orange plastic bags which they seal and ask you not to open until you've left the store)...

mrgisriel

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
I would say, buy it at an AT&T store so you get it that same day :)
But really, that is where I purchased mine at and I got to test it out before I bought it also.

Derek Gisriel

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
First off, IndyJones, Auburn played a great game last week! Way to stick it to them gators!

Neither the AT&T store nor the Apple store have you activate the phone while in the store. If you choose to start a new plan with a new number you do that at home via iTunes. At both stores they just sell you the iPhone and send you on your way.
That being said, I got mine from an AT&T store, but only because I didn't want to deal with the throngs of people on June 29th at the local Apple store. Other than that, I don't think there is a real advantage to buying at either location.