Purchasing MobileMe after free trial

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Alright, so what with the new Find My iPhone feature, I've decided I'm going to start using MobileMe. However, I'm not really sure on how to go about purchasing it. I know you can buy it directly from Apple's online store, but I think that involves actually shipping a box to your address - I don't want to deal with that, if possible.

I've looked at the page where you sign up for a free trial, and from what I can tell, it works like this: If I sign up for the 60-day trial and use it for the 60 days in which it is free, the credit card that I provide while signing up will, at the 60 day mark, be charged $99 for the year's subscription - this will not involve any physical shipping to my address, and everything that I have on my iDisk, all of my account information, etc., will remain in the same account and nothing will change. After that, I have a paid account and I will pay $99 per year as the subscription fee. Also, the 60 day trial is fully functional - nothing is unlocked when you pay the fee. Is all of that correct?

itsabouttime

Silver
Feb 18, 2007
San Antonio, Tx.
Alright, so what with the new Find My iPhone feature, I've decided I'm going to start using MobileMe. However, I'm not really sure on how to go about purchasing it. I know you can buy it directly from Apple's online store, but I think that involves actually shipping a box to your address - I don't want to deal with that, if possible.

I've looked at the page where you sign up for a free trial, and from what I can tell, it works like this: If I sign up for the 60-day trial and use it for the 60 days in which it is free, the credit card that I provide while signing up will, at the 60 day mark, be charged $99 for the year's subscription - this will not involve any physical shipping to my address, and everything that I have on my iDisk, all of my account information, etc., will remain in the same account and nothing will change. After that, I have a paid account and I will pay $99 per year as the subscription fee. Also, the 60 day trial is fully functional - nothing is unlocked when you pay the fee. Is all of that correct?

Lincoln, your summary is correct. Your 60 day trial is fully functional, there are no hidden features that are unlocked after the trial and you can pay for the subscription while the trial is still in progress without losing any of your trial period days.
I totally love MM, I will definitely renew my subscription in December when it expires.
Hope you enjoy it.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i thought the iDisk size was limited on the free trial... can't remember, though.

but that's what i did last year. I actually got nearly 6 months free because of the MobileMe hiccups.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
I think you should start the trial but then by a code via Amazon or eBay, which will cost you around $50 - $60 instead of $99. If you get it from Amazon, you will have to wait for a box to arrive, but I think saving up to 50% is worth it. Plus, if you buy it well before your trial is up, you won't be at risk of having a gap in the use of your new MobileMe account.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
So you're saying that if I just run through the trial and allow Apple to charge me $99 on the 60th day, there might be an interruption in service? The way it's put on the MobileMe website, it doesn't seem like that.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
So you're saying that if I just run through the trial and allow Apple to charge me $99 on the 60th day, there might be an interruption in service? The way it's put on the MobileMe website, it doesn't seem like that.

If you were talking to me and not one of the others who replied, no, that's not what I meant. I just meant to say that you could at least place an order and wait for the box well before there could be an interruption of your MobileMe subscription. So, 30 days into the trial period, you could find an annual subscription code on eBay or Amazon for much less than $99, order it, and get it in time to renew before your trial is up...

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Gotcha. So I'm able to turn the trial into a full & paid account during the trial with a code, right? If so, that's what I'll do.

jagxk

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
Dunwoody, Georgia
MobileMe is a super program - it works beautifully with Apple Address Book and iCal. The "find my phone" is a slick feature.

iPhreak

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
FYI, I did not get a box... I upgraded the day before my trial expired and all is well.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Gotcha. So I'm able to turn the trial into a full & paid account during the trial with a code, right? If so, that's what I'll do.
Yep, as others have also noted.

Does the trial require you to give a credit card number? I can't remember if they allow you to check a "do not auto-renew" box or not during the trial. Just watch out for Apple charging your credit card automatically to convert your trial into a full subscription before you've had a chance to get a code cheaper somewhere else for it... :)

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
Most sellers on eBay will send you the code when you win the auction. They'll ship you a box if you want as well, for a fee.

Joe

iPhreak

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
Yep, as others have also noted.

Does the trial require you to give a credit card number? I can't remember if they allow you to check a "do not auto-renew" box or not during the trial. Just watch out for Apple charging your credit card automatically to convert your trial into a full subscription before you've had a chance to get a code cheaper somewhere else for it... :)
Yes they require a CC but I do not think they have a "do not auto renew" button.

Alice

Jun 23, 2009
does it work well with Outlook and Windows?