Purplera1n vs Redsn0w

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
I just re-jailbroke with Redsn0w, now I don't have the weird wi-fi issues I had with Purplera1n. Any other experiences?

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Wifi would work on and off, for example, I had to switch to 3G to download cydia via Freeze after I waited overnight for the download over wifi. Same with Cydia once installed, it would begin downloads and it would time out. 3G would work all the time. Wifi was for lack of a better term "sqetchy". Jailbroke with Redsn0w and all wifi issues are gone.

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
There are other's that have experienced these wifi issues. Along with SIM lock out as well. These issues were fixed with the new RC2 version of Purplera1n. Which was released a day after the original purplera1n exe.

otakuuu

Bronze
Jul 7, 2009
I am using purplerain right now on my 3GS w/ 3.0. I tried using redsn0w a few times (using the new .8 and the older .7y versions) but all those froze and would never complete. Jailbroke the phone twice with purplerain and everything is working perfect so far!

Jul 23, 2007
3GS here, purplerain'd without a single issue. easy peasie.

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
After using both tools to jailbreak. I would say purplera1n is the easiest and quickest of the two. You just plug it in, make it rain and let it do it's thing. It put's itself in recovery mode (even if it's still on). After a few mins it's done. Open it up, run Freeze to have it install Cydia (reboot the phone so Cydia shows up on the springboard).

redsn0w you have to search and wait for the 3.0 IPSW to load and verify (takes a few mins), turn off the phone, manually put it in recovery mode. then runs the jailbreak.

I guess it all comes down to preference. Personally, I prefer purplera1n because it's a simple one click process. As far as issues, i haven't noticed any problems with purplera1n. No wifi or SIM lockout issues. It's only been a few hours since i've used redsn0w on a different phone to jailbreak. So we'll see how it's running after a couple of days.

bkrgrlmphs

Bronze
Aug 10, 2007
My wifi keeps going on and off too. I'm gonna use redsn0w and see if the issues will stop. Also I noticed my lil icons will not change nor will my keyboard. Some themes work and some will go to safemode.

energie

Sep 13, 2008
My wifi keeps going on and off too. I'm gonna use redsn0w and see if the issues will stop. Also I noticed my lil icons will not change nor will my keyboard. Some themes work and some will go to safemode.
Did you use the updated version of purplera1n?

bkrgrlmphs

Bronze
Aug 10, 2007
Not yet. When was it updated? DL about five days ago.

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona

Since there were many changes to 3.0 including file locations. SMS themes, keyboards do no currently work. Same goes for certain apps. Mainly apps that need Mobile Substrate (ie trickerthreeG, VoIPover3G). Hopefully the apps will be updated soon.