Purpose of the Mini

confusedxx

Bronze
Nov 19, 2009
I have been wondering, what is the purpose of the mini? Why have a mac mini? I guess if you have a NAS with built in media server, you have everything a mac mini does, or am I missing something?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I have been wondering, what is the purpose of the mini? Why have a mac mini? I guess if you have a NAS with built in media server, you have everything a mac mini does, or am I missing something?
I use my Mac mini in conjunction with my NAS. The Mac mini runs through my home theater and I use the very excellent app Plex as my interface.

JusSumguy

Bronze
Apr 6, 2010
The Mini is a powerfuly awesome little tool.

It's purpose is to give the core rig to those that already have HD's, monitors and keyboard/mice. I thought it was one of Apple's more benevolent offerings.

Don't underestimate the power of a Mini. :eek:k:eek:k

-

May 21, 2010
Portland, OR
I thought of it as an affordable Mac because a keyboard, mouse and decent monitor is cheap or if you have existing just drop 600.00 and your using the platform :)

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
I got a mini when they first came out....what? like 7 years ago. Before all this t.v. stuff. I loved it. It was an affordable way for me to have a Mac because I had a great display and keyboard. When it died about 2 years ago, I upgraded to an iMac, but I loved that mini.

NilsF

Jul 24, 2010
I'm a PC computer user who is die hard for Apple. Macs are just way out of my price range so over the past years I've been economically forced to filter my love through iPods and iPhones. I learned about the power of the mini today! I do have one question;
Can you convert a monitor with male VGA to work with the mini? Thanks!

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
Been having trouble with Splashtop on multiple accounts. Not sure if I have to be logged In or not. Mini for me is the ability to have a great piece of hardware and still use either Mac or Windows (via Bootcamp). I mainly use Windows, but no one makes better hardware than Apple. Plus the footprint is unbelievable. Compare Mini to a Compaq or an HP (are they still in businesss?).

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I have the $5 TouchPad app on my iPad (hey, this touchpad came first! :p). It has a keyboard. I usually just use iTeleport or TeamViewer, though, as I can see the screen too. (I know, right, might as well be doing it on the iPad at that point)

meatball

Feb 9, 2015
Mini + Plex + TV for me.
Except the mini is going to have a much better processor
You should consider adding an HP MediaSmart Server. Works like a charm and provides ridiculous amounts of storage for your media.
The problem with that scenario is the HP mediasmart servers processor is very weak, even compared to most name brand NAS's. Compared to a mac mini (any model) the difference is night/day.