Push and Battery Question

V Diddy

Bronze
Jul 16, 2008
Question 1)
i read that if you turn off push you can save battery life.. believing this i turned mine off and kept the fetch for my gmail on for every hour because i love the convenience of it checking every hour without me having to lift a finger.

my question is: which apps does Push affect? i know my email has fetch, but by turning off push, which notifications will i stop getting for which applications?

Question 2)
i "flushed" my battery last night where i totally drained my phones battery till it turned off.. and then i charged it back to full this morning.

does this method work for kind of conditioning your battery like a laptop? and if so, would i have to do it more than once?

thanks in advance!

juzcallmeg0d

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
apparently push isn't available until september anyway, so i don't think it has any effects right now

TAEWING59

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
Q1. When you turn push off, you will no longer recive e-mails when they arrive. Also there are no apps that are currently supporting "push" Apple has yet to set up the servers for the apps. you will still recive notifications of upgradeable programs.
(http://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/)

"If you have a push mail account such as Yahoo!, MobileMe or Microsoft Exchange, turn off push mail when you don’t need it. Go to Settings > Fetch New Data and set Push to Off. Messages sent to your push email accounts will now be received on your phone based on the global Fetch setting rather than as they arrive."

Q2. You should only do the "flush" on the battey once a month (http://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/) here is the statement from there

"For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down)."

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I turned off Locator in my settings and my battery has lasted a full 24hr since I did it. I also turned off Push.

V Diddy

Bronze
Jul 16, 2008
sweet guys thanks!

i did the battery "flush" already so i'm set for a month!

i made a quick post-it note on my desktop of the phone settings i changed:
iPhone settings:
-3G off
-bluetooth off
-location serv. off
-auto brightness off
-push off, fetch on

i turned off locations services, and i used an app where it uses GPS, and it works, you just have to click OK when it asks you to use your location.

i will come back with an update of my battery life! thanks again for the info :D