Push Email (like Blackberry)

billboard

Aug 14, 2009
I have read many different things online regarding the iPhone and push email. Is there an email service that has decent push email? I believe yahoo does and Mobile me can be purchased. Does Gmail?

If they do, which one is usually the quickest for getting email?

Thanks

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I was never able to get Yahoo push to work reliably with the iPhone, and neither have many others.

MobileMe, however, works like clockwork. It also keeps calendar and contacts in sync, which is what I primarily use it for.

I use Gmail as my mail "aggregator" and junk filter and forward select email to MobileME so I can be push notified. (But I rarely check the MobileMe email account on my iPhone, as all of that mail is in Gmail anyway--and it only takes seconds for Gmail to retreive mail.)

There are also other options, including Gmail push itself, which is supposedly coming to the iPhone, eventually.

--
Mike

primsa

Bronze
Dec 12, 2007
Rockford Il.
Do you think the reason only Mobile Me works good is because Apple makes & sells it.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Do you think the reason only Mobile Me works good is because Apple makes & sells it.
No, because there are other push solutions that work just as well--and MobileMe has some shortcoming of its own (e.g., can only get mail from one POP account).

It's just Yahoo, and in particular the free version, that seems to have problems with push on the iPhone (seems like people who pay for Yahoo have better luck with push).

--
Mike

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
Hotmail works fine for me on the iPhone with the exception of not being able to see the junk mail folder.

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
I use and like Mobile ME. But, it's a bit pricey. So, another solution if you have GMail is: nuevasync.com

iksn

Silver
Aug 7, 2008
Near Las Vegas
Yahoo is 100% ! I had problems with Yahoo as far back as 6 months ago on my 3G, but those problems were long since rectified and Yahoo now works perfectly.

duvi

Bronze
Jul 19, 2009
In the future
www.twitter.com
I use and like Mobile ME. But, it's a bit pricey. So, another solution if you have GMail is: nuevasync.com
I get MobileMe for cheaper. I got one year for $22 on eBay.

Also, The nuevasync.com allows for one account to have push as it uses the one exchange slot the iPhone has. If you have your work exchange, I'm not sure if you can hook both up. AT&T didn't allow the iPhone in my department to be on exchange, so I didn't get to test this out.

duvi

Bronze
Jul 19, 2009
In the future
www.twitter.com
Yahoo is 100% ! I had problems with Yahoo as far back as 6 months ago on my 3G, but those problems were long since rectified and Yahoo now works perfectly.
I think 3.0 and the 3GS fixed a lot of those issues. Also, making Yahoo your default account seems to do the trick as well.

flightmedic

Bronze
Jun 21, 2009
Wichita Falls, Texas
I use an exchange account that I pay $5/mo for. It works great. Typically my mail hits my iPhone before it hits my Outlook. It also allows me share my calendar and contacts with my wife who is on an iPhone 3G.

And FYI, push for me on the iPhone with my exchange account is just as fast or faster as when I had my Blackberry Exchange Server set up.

Jim

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Yahoo still has issues for many people. My one friend who thought it worked didn't realize that the notifications were not consistent. Yahoo is not great for spam control either.

I can wait for Gmail push, and till then MobileMe gets the job done. When sitting at my computer I literally hear the email chime on the iPhone at the exact same time as I hear it from my email client.

--
Mike