Push Email Question

bacon_and_rice

Bronze
Jul 9, 2008
I remember getting the iPhone v1, as it stated it offered push email. I tend to do a LOT of emails on my blackberry device, however when i went over to the iPhone, i was disappointed that my push email wasn't true real time push email. The fact that the phone would only cycle any 10 or 15 minutes or so to check emails was an issue as some items were in need of immediate response.
i ended up going back to the blackberry, as when i received a message in my gmail account, it would show up seconds later. with the new iPhone, will it be immediate push, or will we have to sit and wait for the next cycle/manually cycle to search for any new mail?

Iphonehead

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
if you pay for mobileme, I think its immediate....but mobile me is 100 a year.

bacon_and_rice

Bronze
Jul 9, 2008
wow, so my gmail will need to be done the old v1 way? oh man....wow, i'd hate to have to pay $100 just for mobile me...errr i don't see why all emails just can't be pushed like my blackberry. maybe i'll need to create another email account elsewhere, it's just a hassle since all my online banking/credit cards/forum info, etc are all connected to gmail which then have to be rerouted all to a new email. thanks for the input everyone :(

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
wow, so my gmail will need to be done the old v1 way? oh man....wow, i'd hate to have to pay $100 just for mobile me...errr i don't see why all emails just can't be pushed like my blackberry. maybe i'll need to create another email account elsewhere, it's just a hassle since all my online banking/credit cards/forum info, etc are all connected to gmail which then have to be rerouted all to a new email. thanks for the input everyone :(
Gmail's lack of push is down to Google Gmail itself - not the iPhone. Gmail is not push-capable on any device or platform. IMAP is the closest you get with Gmail.

bacon_and_rice

Bronze
Jul 9, 2008
on my curve, i know that when i send myself an email on gmail, it shows up on my blackberry instantly. i just wish they had a "free" way to link them together. i run pc at work, and mac at home. i'm not sure if i should spend 100 on mobile me to sync up when i want my work info synced as well on my outlook account.

bacon_and_rice

Bronze
Jul 9, 2008
here's a question, what if i were to go into my gmail settings and have my gmail messages pushed through my outlook email account, would that create an instant push to the iPhone 3G since it passes to outlook?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
here's a question, what if i were to go into my gmail settings and have my gmail messages pushed through my outlook email account, would that create an instant push to the iPhone 3G since it passes to outlook?
If you had Gmail forwarding to an Exchange account and the Exchange account is setup for push, that should work ...

bacon_and_rice

Bronze
Jul 9, 2008
interesting, i'll give that a shot come friday. thank you for all your help!

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
Sunny, southern California.
I've been using Microsoft Exchange push email for some time now (couple of years) and I normally get an email on my Windows Mobile smartphone before it even gets to my Microsoft Outlook. I'll get the notice that I have new email on my device and about 30 seconds later, it appears in Outlook.

So, yes, it will be almost instant.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
If you had Gmail forwarding to an Exchange account and the Exchange account is setup for push, that should work ...
This is what I did with my old phone and it worked. The only thing back then was I never actually used the mail client on the phone, I would just hear the ding and then check mobile gmail on the web browser.

I actually like the email client on the iPhone and want to use it to send to gmail, so I'm thinking up plans to have one account just for receiving pushed email that is forwarded from gmail, and then another to actually send out on Gmail. It's a bit messy in my head right now. Hopefully the 2.0 mail client is robust enough to allow for such a setup.

Patrick?

by the way, awesome screenname, bacon!

bacon_and_rice

Bronze
Jul 9, 2008
Yes, i want to just keep one email in line so i get all of my online accounts synced with this one email. i'm a smartphone freak, i've jumped from all sorts of Treos, to iPhone, and blackberrys up the yin yang. and it always seems like when theres a switch of a smartphone, one smartphone can't handle push email like another can. so i always have to go through every online account i have and update it with a new email.

i really want to stay away from pushing my gmail to my work outlook so that i don't get swamped with both. i don't want my work email going to my phone anyhow, its just my contacts and calendar are synched with my blackberry at the moment, and my email is synced with my gmail.

i didn't mind my iPhone v1 cycling for new email every 5 minutes as that was suitable for the types of emails that require quick replies, however it killed my iPhones battery every day. i'm trying to think of another way just to keep EVERYTHING updated, calendar, email, everything. and it seems like mobileme is the way to go for on the go updates on my macbook -- iPhone.

so if i were to shell out $100 for mobileme (which i hate just thinking about doing), does mobileme set me up with a new email account, such as _______ @mobileme.com?

bacon_and_rice

Bronze
Jul 9, 2008
@psylichon

thanks, i love me some bacon and rice....or just bacon. gods greatest creation

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I actually like the email client on the iPhone and want to use it to send to gmail, so I'm thinking up plans to have one account just for receiving pushed email that is forwarded from gmail, and then another to actually send out on Gmail. It's a bit messy in my head right now. Hopefully the 2.0 mail client is robust enough to allow for such a setup.

Patrick?
In theory I guess that works, if you setup two separate Exchange level accounts with Mail2web or someone similar. I don't think the email client is going to be too clever at receiving in one, but replying to that from another - not sure, maybe when MobileMe is live - it can do this on the desktop client no worries ...

bacon_and_rice

Bronze
Jul 9, 2008
man, it seems like the simple way to go, but if i bail out from the iPhone in the future, i wont really have a need for mobileme. and its $100 one time thing or $100 every year? either way that seems quite steep when outlook does the same thing but free

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
man, it seems like the simple way to go, but if i bail out from the iPhone in the future, i wont really have a need for mobileme. and its $100 one time thing or $100 every year? either way that seems quite steep when outlook does the same thing but free
It's 99 per year. You could also look at Hosted Exchange (i.e. plans for individuals / small biz) and see if you find better prices - companies like 4smartphone, Mail2web, others offer this ...

desibhar

Bronze
Jul 1, 2008
Ouch, $99/yr for mobile me or an extra $15/mo for enterprise support? Cycling it is!

bacon_and_rice

Bronze
Jul 9, 2008
haha desibar! my thoughts exactly. i'll wait the 10 minute cycle time i guess

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
you can use a 3rd party exchange server like mobipush to have your gmail pushed. it uses activesync to push it to your phone. i haven't tried it yet, but I think it will work