push email

robinhooddaffy

Bronze
Feb 28, 2009
Arkansas
morning all! I have two gmail accounts setup that push to my phone. I have noticed that if I view it first on my iPhone 3G, it doesn't goto my my WinMail on my computer. Is there a setting to "save on server" for the push email on the phone?

cdelauz

Bronze
Jul 13, 2008
If I am not mistaken, i think you have to do that under the setting in your Gmail account.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
morning all! I have two gmail accounts setup that push to my phone. I have noticed that if I view it first on my iPhone 3G, it doesn't goto my my WinMail on my computer. Is there a setting to "save on server" for the push email on the phone?
How did you set your gmail accounts for push, I have tried but just can't seem to get the right stuff to come up in gmail settings?

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Not to sound daft but are we talking about 'Push' or the simple 'Fetch'- as in where your iPhone sends/receives at the users request?

robinhooddaffy

Bronze
Feb 28, 2009
Arkansas
ok...fetch instead of push. How do I get my messages to stay on the Gmail server when fetching my messages to my iPhone.

sorry for the confusion. I think that I will start listing my address as Confusion Arkansas.:laugh2:

lido

Oct 23, 2007
I'm really sorry if my search missed a thread on this; I swear I looked!

So, I've got my gmail and cox accounts set to push, but nothing happens til I actually go to the mail app. Then mail starts downloading. That's not push right? Perhaps I missed a step? Any help would be appreciated!

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Gmail doesn't support push and I doubt cox does either.
Mind if I jack your thread? Didn't think so.

Anyone having trouble with push for yahoo email?
Ever since beta 4 or 5, my yahoo wont push. No settings have changed.

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
Cox email does not push. The other problem with cox email is, you cannot send email if you are not on wifi. They do not allow it.

Styfle: I have noticed that yahoo mail is not pushing since Friday after i changed from my 3G to 3GS.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
Cox email is does not push. The other problem with cox email is, you cannot send email if you are not on wifi. They do not allow it.

Styfle: I have noticed that yahoo mail is not pushing since Friday after i changed from my 3G to 3GS.
You can send from your cox address, just use the AT&T smtp server.

lido

Oct 23, 2007
thanks for the quick responses! so what email clients support the iPhone's push service?

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
mobile me and yahoo (when it decides to work).

Shutter: I never thought about that! thanks! (not that i really use the account much.)

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Mine hasn't been working for a long time. I think it might be on yahoo's end, because it doesn't make any sense if it was firmware related. Was your 3G on 3.0?

lido

Oct 23, 2007
wow. lame. or is that just me.....

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
Mine hasn't been working for a long time. I think it might be on yahoo's end, because it doesn't make any sense if it was firmware related. Was your 3G on 3.0?
I wouldn't doubt it. There has been several times when push just stopped working. I've read several threads on Apple forums where it's been a problem on yahoo's end. I was on 2.2.1 on my 3G.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I wouldn't doubt it. There has been several times when push just stopped working. I've read several threads on Apple forums where it's been a problem on yahoo's end. I was on 2.2.1 on my 3G.
Oh I assumed you had 3.0 on the 3G. Maybe it is software related. I just thought since its been around for awhile, that Apple would have fixed it by now if it was.

Here's the kicker though: on beta 1 and 2, not only was my yahoo pushing perfectly, but my HOTMAIL was too! Crazy I know, but I'm positive it wasn't fetch because I have always had push on and fetch set to manual.

Kuntry

Bronze
Mar 26, 2009
Las Vegas
thanks for the quick responses! so what email clients support the iPhone's push service?
MobileME and Yahoo...Also interways mail does too. Its something like $5/month but you have to purchase a years subscription....so 60/yr. I personally use mobileME for the iDisk features and FindMyiPhone. I've tried interways mail and its a good service too. Push email is as fast as mobile me and you can also sync contacts and calendars.

Edit: With mobile me you can also track multiple phones with one account. just set up mobile me on your second phone and turn all of the options off except for find my iPhone. I have mine and my wifes phones both on find my iPhone and we also share our calendars so if one of us makes a change, it syncs on both phones.

Naylor07

Bronze
Sep 8, 2007
I use Microsoft Exchange, it is push. Of course you need an exchange server.

omniscient

Sep 21, 2008
I've been using interways.net for well over a year now and still am very pleased with it.
They are adding more and more features. Now my family can sync our calendars, sharing them even to the iPhones. Calendar sharing is a really great thing, for businessses too. Works with contacts, mail folders, tasks, files.
These team features are really what makes interways much better than mobile me.
And we can use our own domain with them, even for web hosting, which is included. All that including push mail for just 50 bucks a year!

iksn

Silver
Aug 7, 2008
Near Las Vegas
I think I have good news for you. I promise you yahoo email pushes perfectly. It sends and receives perfectly. Getting Yahoo working properly was a mission I was on ever since I got my 3G (3G day).
It took probably 6 months. Once Yahoo got it right on their end, that was most of it.
I never really thought of it till my 3Gs, but Yahoo is now my primary account and I have Cox set up on fetch as my secondary account. Cox is still my primAry account on my co
puters. Trust me, it works perfectly. Makes push email as good on my iPhone As any Blackberry I've had, and without Mobile Me.