Push GMail?

ashwini

Bronze
Jun 2, 2009
India
www.ashwini.co.in
Its been soooooo long since iPhone started to support push email. Why the hell is GMail still not push? We know its possible... Android and Palm have it. Why not iPhone?

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Its being worked on - Google sync lets you set up your google account through the iPhones exchange service. However, currently only calendar and contacts are available, there is a switch for mail, but if you turn it on, nothing happens as such. Kepp an eye on this page for the update..

http://www.google.com/mobile/products/sync.html#p=Apple

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Also make sure and check out GPush when it comes out, adds push support to Gmail through a third party app.

ashwini

Bronze
Jun 2, 2009
India
www.ashwini.co.in
Sync only provides push contacts and calendar. But what about Mail? And why should you use a third party app for something that should be there built in!

I know its not there and I am aware of the alternatives. But my question is why do we not have it? Is there a problem at google's end? or is Apple having another of its tantrum?

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Sync only provides push contacts and calendar. But what about Mail? And why should you use a third party app for something that should be there built in!

I know its not there and I am aware of the alternatives. But my question is why do we not have it? Is there a problem at google's end? or is Apple having another of its tantrum?
It's a problem at googles end. Not Apples. It will be available, just a case of when. Set your fetch to 15 minutes in the meantime and chill…

MrEous

Silver
Dec 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
Just curious but why is it not Apple's fault? Push still isn't active for other apps too. Apple was fairly slow at adding the push feature in the first place.

ashwini

Bronze
Jun 2, 2009
India
www.ashwini.co.in
Just curious but why is it not Apple's fault? Push still isn't active for other apps too. Apple was fairly slow at adding the push feature in the first place.
Two different things... what you are talking about is "Push Apps", which is a new concept from Apple to replace multitasking. But "Push Email" is when the email server pushes the email to the device as it arrives, this is also available on other phones...winmo, Android...

Push email works great with yahoo... but not Google so far!

MrEous

Silver
Dec 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
Ahhh I see the difference now, thanks. So it is Google's, and the infinite 'Beta' stage, fault. Lol

Thanks, I hadn't known the difference between App push and Email push.