Push Notifications and Battery Life

Discussion in 'iPad' started by |3are, Mar 19, 2012.

1. |3are

|3are Member
    Silver

I've been hesitant to use push notifications for any application that isn't native -- mail, messages, etc. Turned them all off on my iPhone (except Whatsapp when I used it) and have tried to avoid them on my iPad so far.

However, the one thing that would keep me running back to my desktop computer while lounging around on the couch using my iPad is a chat client for AIM, Gchat, etc. Obviously, I'd want to keep push on for this so I can just get messages whenever they come in.

I just wanted to get some input on how much you guys think this will affect battery life in your experiences. I know I shouldn't worry about it too much given the great battery life of the iPad, but it just rubs me the wrong way to think that I'm using up a ton of battery life when it could be avoided. Of course, I ought to be able to do my own experiments and see for myself over the long term, but I wanted to get your thoughts.

Side note: I'm not getting battery usage stats like on the iPhone to show up on my iPad. All I see it the option to toggle battery percentage on and off.

2. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

I don't think the iPad has the usage status like the iPhone. It didn't on my original and I also do not see it on the new iPad either.
    I don't think the notifications are going to be a big deal at all on the iPad. Turn them on and of you notice a dramatic drop on battery, start turning them off one at a time until you find the one that has the worst drain. Again though, I don't think you will see much of a drain at all.